Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Beauties, all! What's this about a 'swap'? Sounds fun!

Swaps are a lot of fun! There's one held the first Saturday of every month (April through October) at Tyrone Milling in Tyrone, PA. The one @fisherlady was at its held at Tractor supply in Indiana, PA. I think she said the second snag of every month but she'll have to check me on that. You go, buy, sell or trade

It sounds like Sarcoptic Mange:
Sarcoptic mange is the name for the skin disease caused by infection with the Sarcoptes scabei mite. The mites are microscopic and can’t be seen by the naked eye. Female Sarcoptes mites burrow under the skin and leave a trail of eggs behind. This burrowing creates an inflammatory response in the skin similar to an allergic reaction. The motion of the mite in and on the skin is extremely itchy, as is the hatching of the eggs. This creates a further allergic reaction and more itching, loss of sleep and reduced immune response. Loss of fur, scaly skin and a general unthrifty appearance is characteristic of a Sarcoptic mange infestation. The condition worsens as a skin infection sets in. The foxes immune system is even more compromised and internal parasites (tape, hook and roundworms) begin to take over and absorb any nutrients that fox may find. Mangy foxes are usually starving in the late stages.

These foxes are not a threat to people, dogs, cats, etc. They are close to people and buildings because there may be easy food such as cat or dog food left out in dishes, bird seed, garbage, insects, worms, roadkill and a mouse or two. They are also losing their ability to thermoregulate and need protection from wind, shade, sun, whatever the present need of the body is. Mangy foxes (and coyotes) often seek out a pile of hay to lay in. Hay seems to relieve the itchiness and provide a source of comfort.

For those animals that get heavily infected, it’s a nightmare. Heavy fur loss is soon to follow. You’ll see a thick crust forming on the surface of their skin, which is parasitic waste from all the mites.

All of this causes incredible itchiness that can almost drive an animal mad. Animals who are intensely infected will be seen wandering around during the daytime, even in cold weather.

Death can even result from mange, though primarily through other means. For instance, an infected fox could easily starve or freeze to death while wandering and seeking escape from the non-stop itching and burning.

http://www.foxwoodwildliferescue.org/
Thank you so much for such a thorough reply. I think you're probably right that this is what it was. I'm not so worried - now I'm just feeling very sorry for the poor fox. 😢

I put 11 turkey eggs under a very broody turkey hen yesterday. This is my first time in years that I let a turkey set on eggs. My last attempt, years ago and with a different hen, did not go well. I hope she hatches a bunch, it would be fun to see her raise them.
I also have a broody muscovy, she is a proven momma, but has only 7 eggs to sit on. Last summer she hatched 15 and raised every single one.
I'm trying to break the broody geese and chickens, I just don't have room for all the mommas that want to be.

So nervous -- getting chicks in the mail today. I really hate the whole mail thing, and would rather get them from Dennis, but in this case I had a $100 refund on a defective coop door from My Pet Chicken and there was nothing else I wanted from them, so I got chicks. At the last minute my Mottled Houdans did not hatch, so I am not getting those. Seems I am getting a bunch of "designer" easter eggers and 2 silkies. I hope they are alive when I open the box.

UPDATE: all arrived alive & chirping, about 20 hours in total ship time. Now to worry about introducing them to my broody bantams.

Last edited:
So nervous -- getting chicks in the mail today. I really hate the whole mail thing, and would rather get them from Dennis, but in this case I had a $100 refund on a defective coop door from My Pet Chicken and there was nothing else I wanted from them, so I got chicks. At the last minute my Mottled Houdans did not hatch, so I am not getting those. Seems I am getting a bunch of "designer" easter eggers and 2 silkies. I hope they are alive when I open the box.

UPDATE: all arrived alive & chirping, about 20 hours in total ship time. Now to worry about introducing them to my broody bantams.
When I got my chicks from them two years ago, the only chick died was my Houdan. I was so sad, since she was the one my son really wanted. And all my chicks had some respiratory disease (maybe MG?). I think it might from my Dorking, since they got rid of their Dorkings a couple months later. Now my entire flock has it. Luckily, it's a very mild strain and only cause some sneezing and runny nose.

Edit to add: At least their Marek's vaccination works well. None of my chickens from mypetchickens had problem with Marek's so far. I don't think their chicks are as healthy as Dennis's though. I had wry neck and other small problems with these chickens, but they are all quite healthy now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom