Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Anybody else having air quality issues because of the wildfires in Canada? So far ours was the worst yesterday afternoon, but it's still bad this morning. A lot of folks are back to wearing masks again, only outside instead of inside now. I really feel for our animals that can't escape to the indoors. ☹️
Yesterday, my Dorking was wheezing badly! It's so bad for their little body. I never had any chicken wheezing before. It sounded scary. Since my flock has respiratory disease, I just gave her some Tylan. She seems getting better today.

We've been outside all day, getting ready for the graduation party on Saturday (cutting grass, weed whacking, cleaning the garage). I'm coughing a good bit this evening now. Everything is so insanely dry that I was kicking up dust everywhere. DD actually came out and told me that she wasn't sure if we were dealing with smoke from the fires or just me mowing :rolleyes: The flock seems to be fine as of now.

As bad as some parts have it now I can only imagine how hard it must be for people in Canada near the fires. Dry air, dust and heavy pollen which haven't been mitigated by rain in past 2 ir 3 weeks is probably a contributing factor around here.

Our birds aren't really showing any stress from it but they have numerous options for locations to hang out so they go where they are most comfortable.

In other news from our hill... in past week we had a possum and raccoon both make the fatal decision to try nocturnal coop visits.
The dogs (primarily Jenibelle, with Mindy assist) took care of both, the raccoon also had a bit of lead poisoning before she got it. We don't go out hunting or looking for them but if they come into the coop yard the dogs will do their job. Jeni is just turned 2, she likes the chickens and is really, really intent on anything she thinks is a predator. She is starting to show more interest in the hens and babies also, so maybe a maternal instinct to protect her babies. Mindy was the same as a younger dog, she is turning 14 in a few weeks and slowing down.

New additions, 3 broodies, all sat separately but in typical fashion for our coop as soon as they were moved to 3 floor boxes within sight of each other they joined forces and are now brooding as a group.
20230611_145319.jpg
20230611_145250.jpg
20230611_145151.jpg

We are. We seem to be a bit better off up here on the Ridge tops but it's still been very hazy the past two days. My husband works down in Altoona though and he says it's really bad down there.
I know this is very late reply, we had smokey skies so bad we thought we actually had an issue in our area!! Smelled of smoke even!! scary stuff.

:oops:

was outside too much and ended up with a headache and very tired...head full of badness.
down in Lancaster county right now and it doesn't seem bad at all, but it has rained quite a bit today..finally!!:celebrate
Hope everyone is fairing well with all the dryness and bad air..now heavy rains and some places crazy storms and tornado warnings.

Back
Top Bottom