Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Quote:I understand that. About March/April each year I am ready for the snow to stop!

2. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    the first snowflake is way too much 4 me![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  3. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Quote:One snow flake? Really...it only takes one? You're tougher than that!

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I like winter and don't mind the snow but I certainly understand cause in the hot, humid summer, I want to move NORTH! hahaaaaa or at least oceanside for that constant breeze. But wait...oceanside means huricanes or possible earth quakes. Think I'll stick to Western PA. At least I'm familiar with the weather beast here!

btw, do you need chicken feed bags? I think I have about 4 saved up now.

4. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Hello PA friends, just saw this thread and had to pop in and say Hi! Glad to see some sunshine!

5. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Hi GoldDogsMom! Yes, it is a beautiful sunny morning!

6. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Hi hannakat! Have you been raising chickens long? I am starting to get worried about the timing of moving my chicks out to the coop. They are almost 2 wks old so...I think I screwed up and got them too late! My other hens were spring chicks...

7. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Quote:This is my second year with this flock. We had a large flock many years ago and I finally convinced hubby that a few would be nice again.

A lot of people seem to hatch late into the year. You'll definitely need to keep a heat lamp available for a while. They feather out by 9 weeks but by then it'll be cold. They'll be fine...just keep the lamp on! I don't heat my coop at all but I have a friend who does. He works long hours and doesn't want the eggs to freeze. There are many options... you did NOT screw up.

Spring chicks.....ahhhh, those were the days! [​IMG]

8. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I didn't heat my coop last year but those girls were all grown up. My problem is that I don't have electricity run to the coop area...I found someone who wants to get rid of a 8x8 shed so I am having it moved to my property and modifying it (adding windows, roosts, nesting boxes etc). I am thinking that I might need to run an extension cord out to it depending on weather conditions. then...I will need to wean them off the light so the cord isn't in the way for plowing!

So...let's hope for a warm fall!

9. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    [​IMG] warm fall [​IMG] warm fall

10. GoldDogsMom

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by