Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

How do all of you keep track of the eggs and there different stages of hatching when they are incubating?

What do you do with them after they hatch? Do you sell them to other breeders when they are older or keep them?

I have to ask. I think I would get the ages of the eggs mixed up eventually. and then wander what to do with all those birds.
Mark them when you incubate. Pick what you want and sell/trade/give away the rest. Write down hatch details. And it's easier to set all the eggs in the incubator at once. I have some on now that I set at two different times and I marked the date of the ones I set later on the eggs.

Kilometers, Welcome! I could walk to the Mason Dixon Line. But I really would need some good shoes, a water bottle....ect

ummmm I meant Kiomey - darm autocorrect!

BayM, yes Welsummers.

Isn't life just 'right' again wit Sally back here?

Chad, sad to say, I can SOOOO picture you saying that. Oh, and can you do it in a kilt?

How do all of you keep track of the eggs and there different stages of hatching when they are incubating?

What do you do with them after they hatch? Do you sell them to other breeders when they are older or keep them?

I have to ask. I think I would get the ages of the eggs mixed up eventually. and then wander what to do with all those birds.

Mine are usually pretty vastly different breeds, so easy to keep track of there. I zip tie their ankles at first and when they start to grow, I use numbered leg bands. I sort out at hatch any with clearly defined DQs (silkies with not enough toes for instance, or off color ones). Since I am building a show/breed flock, I will grow most of mine out until a certain time. Will evaluated along the way and cull (pet out) anything that doesn't fit in to my breeding program.

I guess what you would do with the chicks depends on what you are doing with your chickens. Are you just looking for eggers? Or are you going to show? Or breed? I will be hatching out a egger flock soon, and with those, all of the roosters will go as soon as I sex them....

ummmm I meant Kiomey - darm autocorrect!
BayM, yes Welsummers.
Isn't life just 'right' again wit Sally back here?
Chad, sad to say, I can SOOOO picture you saying that. Oh, and can you do it in a kilt?
Under the glass of jameson I am not responsible for how many times I hug and tell anyone I love them. Yes. LOL That night I was hugging everyone(yep even hugged the DJ)
lau.gif

Keeping track of eggs: I use Crayola markers. I put the breed and variety right on the egg. Then I put the information like the dates, tray location, and how many eggs are set, in the iphone. After they hatch I use a marker and put a dot on there head. I also have 4 brooders with 4 different colors of feeders, and waterers. I also put that indo in my iphone.

I usually have people call or text just asking what I have for sale at the moment. Usually I can find them something they want, or I will buy eggs and hatch them only to sell as unsexed chicks. Excess roosters that aren't good for reproducing go to auction/freezer camp. Roosters that show promise of being a show/breeder chicken I sell as part of a pair, trio, or quad. If I am feeling especially giving I will give them away to good homes that will use them for breeding, only if someone buys hens. I like promote purebreds with the Ameraucanas because I don't want them getting mixed up with Easter Eggers

After 12 weeks if they are staying they get a colored and numbered leg band. Up to that point, I know the hatchdate, breed, variety, and growth rate. I keep only the best to breed. When you buy a chicken from me I tell you the quality of the bird. The better the bird, the higher the price. Of course that is subjective. Everyone has there own idea of the perfect chicken, and some people don't care!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom