Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

If we are going to discuss odd foods, does anyone know how to prepare sweet breads? It's a meat dish made from an organ meat. I know you fry it with bacon, just not sure how to process/clean them to cook.
I remember it from childhood and want to make it again.
My father grew up poor and his father did butchering on the side so he liked the less used animal parts and passed the taste on to me.

I have...not too bad...but then I've had alligator, turtle, conch, rattler, elk, moose, venison, rabbit, frogs legs, escargot, sweetbreads (tripe) have tongue in the freezer...one of these days I'll take the time to cook it up.

If we are going to discuss odd foods, does anyone know how to prepare sweet breads? It's a meat dish made from an organ meat. I know you fry it with bacon, just not sure how to process/clean them to cook.
I remember it from childhood and want to make it again.
My father grew up poor and his father did butchering on the side so he liked the less used animal parts and passed the taste on to me.
They sell it at walmart cheap already cleaned. I have some heart and liver in the freezer. Have enough liver to last through the Apocalypse and than some. I eat all that stuff too. Mmmm liver and onions sauteed in butter with a brown gravy mmmm. My grandmother would make tongue sandwiches. Heck when it was cold out we would butter bread with lard. People ask why I'm not 400lbs and diabetic with everything I grew up on. I think that's the stuff that helped me rather than hurt.

In making the sweet bread soak in salt water and than poach it in milk to get the membrane off. Dry it and than pan fry in a lil bacon grease or slice and toss in with bacon.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom