Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Merry Christmas!!!

3. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Wingstone,
    Thanks for the egg suggestions, I have a list of breeds that would probably work for us. What we are hoping to add to the flock is a large bodied bird with an average (or better) egg production. I also based my search on average broodiness so that we can build a more self sustaining flock. I would hatch out some of our eggs now except we have 2 Roos who don't have the size or character I want to breed and the logistics of seperating my favorite roo and hens to a 'breeder' area wouldn't be good for them with the weather being what it is.
    I didn't plan on setting up a seperate breeding pen till spring and even though little Miss Gracie has put on her broody pants I will still have to wait for spring to use eggs I know belong to Grayson (our favorite roo).
    So since we have to wait a bit we need to use the opportunity to get some nice heavier breed stock started.
    We are considering Australorp... Brahma... Barred Rock or Partridge Rock....Delaware
    also in the mix if they are what is available are Chantecler, Sussex or Dorking

We are very involved with our flock, and enjoy friendly birds that don't object much to being handled, eggs are a benefit but prolific isn't required at all and eventually we'd like to be able to have a meaty enough bird we can cull to freezer camp as needed with extra roos and such. I am more concerned with healthy, happy animals than I am appearances since we have no plans to show our birds.
    Any suggestions for Pennsylvania (or nearby) breeders or hatcheries with healthy stock are welcome! Eggs from backyarders are great too because then I can take the opportunity to meet some of you in person!
    Now that the holiday rush is almost over I can hopefully regain a somewhat 'normal' routine and may have some open days soon! Since I am new at aquiring eggs any helpful direction is appreciated!

4. swataracreek

swataracreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Chad i have quail trays for a GqF turner if you they will work

5. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    added JFC!

6. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA

Yes Fisher, I've been quite worried, thought she'd bloated and that we'd have to put her down. I've been blowing up MsLadyHawke's phone, freaking out. sometimes you need a little extra support. Put on my big girl pants and a happy face for when the grands came, and my Old Blue Girl has rallied. It's not the first time, but it was the worst so far. Vet tells me, 'prepare yourself', but doesn't explain to me how exactly you do that.

Ray, yes, we LOVE Danes, they are so very sweet, as you know. We've had a black, bred her to a Harle, and now we have a blue. If her fur were thicker, she'd be a perfect Farm Dog,

Chad!! $200!! Wow! What were you drinking, my friend? Golden Monkey? That's what does DH in over here.

Wingstone, C'mon over! the goaties are always up for some extra loving. Nope, haven't gotten the mini cow....yet. We had one lined up this fall, but I am not on board until we get sufficient fencing....thought Santa was going to bring me some, but not this time.

Thank you for the 'young' comments, I'm feeling pretty old these days, when I can't get around the way I used to. Yup, baby (3 yr old) is my grandson, and I never feel older than when I'm trying to keep up with him and his 5 yr old brother.

7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Pic OVERLOAD

First up... BEST Present = 100% Free Range CHICKEN POOP lip Balm!

[​IMG]

Next Chicken Girl Harmony!!

[​IMG]

AND the HANDY Hen Bag !!!

[​IMG]

I just cant leave out little Lucas can I??? SLURPY MACHINE!!

[​IMG]

below is amazing.... my two male English Springers napping together.... IT WAS A FIRST!!

[​IMG]

Even after loosing Melvin we did have a nice Christmas... Merry Christmas everyone!!

8. msladyhawke

msladyhawke Poultry Connoisseur

Anytime Blarney. Will be thinking of Peach tomo and crossing fingers. She is a grand ol' gal. [​IMG]

9. Lilbrownie

Lilbrownie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa
    So sorry for the losses everyone has had! Hope your holidays get better!

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    BATOR UPDATE - Last one until Ancona Duck LOCKDOWN for NYDay Hatch!!!

Harmony and Daddy's CoolerBATOR ROCKS yet AGAIN!! Thanks to Sara on BYC for the xtra eggs she sent with the duck eggs!! [​IMG]
    7 out of 8 and that one pipped wrong end :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BELOW is My FAVORITE PICTURE!! Harmony just "hangs" with her peeps!!

[​IMG]e

[​IMG]

Below, Harmony has a photo shoot with her peeps!

[​IMG]

Below are Harmonys Serama Peeps from CPL just before they were added with BHeps Serama peeps!!

[​IMG]

All cozy together and seem to get along fine so far!! big differance a week.5 makes doesnt it?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by