Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chillin' With My Peeps

Hands Off !

Sally will give you a backhand ! LOL

Have you read up on " assisting hatchlings " ???? Just in case !

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    CHAD ~

Using its egg tooth (a tiny, sharp, horny projection on the end of its beak), the chick pecks at the shell thousands of times. Finally, the young bird pips its way through the shell and begins to breathe air directly from the outside. After the chick has made a hole in the shell, it stops pipping for three to eight hours and rests. During this time, it is acclimating its lungs to the outside atmosphere. After the resting stage is completed, the second stage of pipping begins.

The chick begins to turn slowly inside the egg. As it turns, usually counter-clockwise, the cutting edge of the chick tooth continues to chip away. In two to five hours, the chick has made about three quarters of a turn inside the egg. As the chick progresses in its movement around the shell, it begins pushing on the egg cap (large end). Squirming and struggling, the chick works feverishly for about 40 minutes pushing at the cap. Finally with a vigorous shove, the chick breaks free from the shell, still wet and panting.

When the chick is freed completely from the shell, it lies still. Its energy has been virtually exhausted, and it is extremely tired. After a rest of some few minutes, the chick begins to rise to its feet and gain coordination of its muscles. Within a few days the egg tooth, its usefulness over, will disappear.

What did you read most important right now???

it stops pipping for three to eight hours and rests. During this time, it is acclimating its lungs to the outside atmosphere.

Now read this....

make hatching assistance far more complicated than it needs to be. Think of it this way - What's the rush to get a chick out the shell??? All it means is you have another mouth to feed. Relax!

The developing embryo has lived in this shell for well over 3 weeks. It has survived off of the contents of the egg for that entire time. The only thing it has absorbed from the outside is Oxygen. As long as the chick is getting Oxygen, there is nothing urgent. Too many people feel the nseeed to rush in and pull a chick out of a place that has served it well for 3-4 weeks.

At hatching, the chick only needs to make the transition from using the blood vessels in the shell membrane to gather Oxygen, to using its lungs instead. Once the lungs are developed, the yolk is absorbed and the blood vessels will recede. Let that happen. There is plenty of yolk to take care of the chick’s nutritional needs for 24-48 hours after a normal hatch. There should be no rush to get a chick out of the shell if it can breathe. As long as it has access to air through the pip, it can sit there all day, even after the blood vessels recede. It's not going to starve. It has plenty of yolk. It's not going to dehydrate, unless you get impatient and begin removing shell before it's time to do so causing bleeding or too much exposure to outside air. info from
    http://www.avianresources.com/Nursery_Mgt.htm

SIT ON HANDS CHAD!! [​IMG]

4. wlrabbitry

wlrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Anyone on here want to swap eggs?
    I have Ameracaunas black that carry the Lav Gene so offspring will be black, splits and lavender.
    I also have some 2 red pullts, 1 GLW and a RIR covered by a Ameracauna Roo.
    Looking for:
    Russian Orloffs
    buff or silver laced polish
    Brahmas
    I can ship 6 eggs every 3 days for the pure Ameracaunas or a variety of 6 every day.
    Wendy
    [​IMG]

5. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Did someone say they were wanting Javas?? This is listed on Poultry Bid on FB:

I have a young pair of Black Javas for sale. They are about 5 months old. Not laying yet but soon. $20.00. Thanks Janie.. Dallas, Georgia ..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/124032631057433/

6. roseschickies

roseschickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    Oh I so want to add more to my flock, once I know everyone is back to good health of course( Orencia has a Doctor’s appointment tomorrow at 6:30pm)

I have a Silkie Roo Chick, and another that I am not sure the breed was told Jersey Giant or a Black Star, then posted on BYC and someone said it could be a Rosecomb bantam, both Roos if anyone is interested (I cannot keep Roos)

See attached Pic (FYI, they are not anywhere near my other girls, Totally different area, I also do not handle them much do to Orencias sickness and not wanting it to spread to them)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should really get to work! Reading up on chickens and getting nothing done!! oops! [​IMG]

7. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    I KNOW! Geez well I only wanted to peek. And yes have read her thing over and over and she liable to backhand me anyway just for shyts and giggles.

8. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    I have an orloff your more than wel,come too if you can figure out how to get it to ya.

9. wlrabbitry

wlrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Roo or Hen?

10. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Ok, have you noticed if it is big in the morning also after not eating overnight? If it is, then she could have an impacted or sour crop or both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by