Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Quote: As long as I have room, the chickens can all stay put. With hens going broody, I really don't want to break them. I have no room in the incubator, and before I got the incubator, having a broody was my dream. So, the chicks will stay with their moms. If you (or your guy) want the 3 White Rocks, 3 GLW, 3 BCM chicks I hatched or anything else, let me know. It is just one pullet I offered that is broody.
In June will be another story. I will be BEGGING for people to take chicks!

Quote:
bun.gif
Ha ha!
tongue2.gif

I even got my letter filled out, and sent in. I am sure everyone wants to know about this. I am glad that someone else cared enough to want to post it.

Me too!

Well that heading to NJ for the weekend thing. Boy Scout campout on Long Beach Island.

I thought the scout campout thingy was next weekend? Not that that would make sense...too many BENNY's as it is...but hadn't really paid attention as my girls are too young yet.

So you are saying that if I get really upset with my mailman, it will cost me an extra $2.95 to have him shipped to Siberia?

Hmmm.

How much for small children?

YAY!!!

So we're heading to NJ for the weekend....need to get food and water in all the locations that there are birds....this is made more difficult by ducklings who are now either attempting to imprint on me....or eat me...I'm not entirely sure which.
Have a good time Missy
frow.gif

Dear Valued Murray McMurray Hatchery Customer,
It has come to our attention the Post Office is requesting a change to the shipment of poultry through the mail. The following link is a copy of the proposal in PDF form or You can read the proposal on-line at the Federal Register: https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/04/24/2013-09603/new-mailing-standards-for-live-animals-and-special-handling
They are asking that a Special Handle Fee be charged on every Live Animal Shipment. This proposal would increase the postage amount by $9.00 to $11.95 per box.
The proposal outlines the new fees to be charged but it does not include any new rules to insure us that service would also improve. Nor does it offer how additional funds would address their concerns about; Protection of Postal Service employees, mail and the environment, or animals against death.
Please read the proposed changes and send your comments to the US Post Office. We have included a link to a sample letter (in MS Word) for your use. (Sample Letter Link)
Make your voice heard, do it today. The comment period ends next week May 24. Thank you for your continued support.
Letters and e-mails must be submitted on or before May 24, 2013, by sending to the below address or Emailed to [email protected], with a subject line of "Live Animals".
The Manager, Product Classification
U.S. Postal Service
475 L'Enfant Plaza SW, Room 4446
Washington, DC 20260-5015
RE: 39 CFR Part 111 New Mailing Standards for Live Animals and Special Handling
Looks like the PO has caught on to the "Chicken Math"...
caf.gif

Hello everyone just introducing my main men, the other 4 or possibly 5 males, will probably be dinner soon.
These guys will be the keepers, Sammy is definitely second in charge after me. They haven't been too loud,
so these guys will probably stay. Time will tell. Thanks everyone!
Love the names!
big_smile.png

can someone with a green thumb help out my black thumb....
i was given a plant about 3 feet tall called a big leaf magnolia,,,besides plopping it in the ground what do I do and what will it look like..

hide.gif
not much of a plant person...I can kill plastic plants..

[TR] Dear Valued Murray McMurray Hatchery Customer, It has come to our attention the Post Office is requesting a change to the shipment of poultry through the mail. The following link is a copy of the proposal in PDF form or You can read the proposal on-line at the Federal Register: https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/04/24/2013-09603/new-mailing-standards-for-live-animals-and-special-handling They are asking that a Special Handle Fee be charged on every Live Animal Shipment. This proposal would increase the postage amount by $9.00 to $11.95 per box. The proposal outlines the new fees to be charged but it does not include any new rules to insure us that service would also improve. Nor does it offer how additional funds would address their concerns about; Protection of Postal Service employees, mail and the environment, or animals against death. Please read the proposed changes and send your comments to the US Post Office. We have included a link to a sample letter (in MS Word) for your use. (Sample Letter Link) Make your voice heard, do it today. The comment period ends next week May 24. Thank you for your continued support. [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR] [COLOR=FF0000]Letters and e-mails must be submitted on or before May 24, 2013, by sending to the below address or Emailed to [email protected], with a subject line of "Live Animals".
The Manager, Product Classification U.S. Postal Service 475 L'Enfant Plaza SW, Room 4446 Washington, DC 20260-5015
RE: 39 CFR Part 111 New Mailing Standards for Live Animals and Special Handling[/COLOR] [/TR]
Did anyone else read the actual bill that is trying to be passed you can find it on mcmurrys website but it would restrict the time that any kind of birds can be shipped can only be done between April and August. Thought that was a kicker.

For those of you who send your chickens to "freezer camp" do you do the work yourself? At first I couldn't stand the thought of eating one of my pets but since I seem to be a rooster magnet I've decided to reconsider. I just don't know if I can do it myself. There is a guy a few minutes away that processes deer and he also did my neighbors steer. I wonder if it would be worth it for me to pay him to do my roosters. I'm new to all of this so any info you can give me would be great. Is it better to do it at a certain age?

can someone with a green thumb help out my black thumb....
i was given a plant about 3 feet tall called a big leaf magnolia,,,besides plopping it in the ground what do I do and what will it look like..

hide.gif
not much of a plant person...I can kill plastic plants..
Pick a spot....(for a tree keep away from you house, make sure you get good sun), dig a whole 6" deeper than the pot and 1' bigger diameter than the pot.....get a couple of shovels of compost throw in the bottom of the hole...make sure the pot is well watered(damp, not soaked) it will keep the dirt on the root ball and make it easy to remove from the pot...if it is root bound you may need to pull at the bottom a bit to loosen the roots(try not to break any)....place the root ball in the whole and orient the tree to the best position...back fill the soil around the plant...press in in gently....then soak the ground and add more soil to seal the roots with dirt...build a small dirt rim around the whole you dug so water will puddle up...throw a small amount of fertilizer on top then soak the plant again....Transplanted plants need to be well watered for the first few months...my two cents....its been my experience some grow and some don't I don't know if magnolia need special soil....if they like acid soil get some blueberry fertilizer....or you can do lime/wood ash for alkaline(sp) ....etc...

For those of you who send your chickens to "freezer camp" do you do the work yourself? At first I couldn't stand the thought of eating one of my pets but since I seem to be a rooster magnet I've decided to reconsider. I just don't know if I can do it myself. There is a guy a few minutes away that processes deer and he also did my neighbors steer. I wonder if it would be worth it for me to pay him to do my roosters. I'm new to all of this so any info you can give me would be great. Is it better to do it at a certain age?

I do my own. It's usually like $2/bird. IMO, if you're raising them, it's for a reason, and typically outsourcing the butchering defeats the purpose. I raise my own so I know what went into them, I know they were handled with respect and to try to save a little money... I've seen how amish and butchers handle the animals and the extra $2 per corpse defeats two of my three purposes.

Back
Top Bottom