Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

GM all:

A couple of questions for the more experienced...

I have two BCMs that are approaching 14wks.....I have them on the last of my grower crumble......
I have let the babies out to free range with the big girls(and boy)...but the babies run from the biggins and the six girls are really not that interested....not even the roo....
So, if I move the babies to the big pen there'd be only layer pellets...the pen is 5'x20'....I can put some logs etc in there...LisaY seemed to think it helped her situation.....

So should I buy another bag of grower (I really don't want to )and keep the babies in the grow out pen....or just toss them the big coop and let chickens be chickens....lastly if I move them is it better and night or during the day....Thanks in advance!!!
Better to feed baby food to big birds than the other way around. Just offer calcium so the big girls get enough to keep laying.

I can't remember who it was talking a while back about processing their birds - I stumbled onto this while trying to do some research about who I was getting 2 RSL's from tomorrow - Eli Reiff "The poultry man". Couldn't really find any info on his chickens etc, as most of them get eaten lol

I found this article online http://www.docstoc.com/docs/40337395/Poultry-Processing-Equipment-that-Works! looks like they charge $100 to use everything for the day. I have no idea how far the people are from those that were processing their birds.
Fisherlady drove 3 hours 1 way a while back to bring me her processing equipment. We have made plans to coordinate processing day next year & meet somewhere in the middle (western PA). If there's someone close to the half way point who would be willing to offer us their property for a processing location for the day it would make the equipment open to anyone near who wanted to bring their birds over to process. We could assist, but everyone bringing birds would need to help with at least some portion of the processing & clean-up. If a bunch of us work together we could have everyone's birds done in no time flat.

Quote: I see the problem. You have made the space next to the box too inviting. I would move the box into the corner or just use the space between the box & wall as an additional nesting box as the girls have already decided it is.

Quote: Bears will grab chickens & have been known to break into coops & kill entire flocks, eating most of them before anyone even knows they were there.

chance to type on a real keyboard....priceless....

laptop broken and have been trying to keep up on the ipad, good for reading but not typing..

Silkie, everything arrived in great shape and my daughter loves you....she wants me to order some of your soaps also,,,told her to figure out which one's first...

just hatched 3 rhodebar tis morning..If I am looking at them right I have 1 roo and 2 hens..

Those talking about processing, I also have some of the equipment,,,i use a turkey fryer for dunking and have a plucker, can travel for the right deal.

Leaving on Tuesday morning for a well needed vacation (first in 5 years)..well it is kind of a working vacation, going to ag progress in penn state but since we are also going camping for 5 days ,I get to call it a vacation..

sorry to read about all the losses, it's frustrating to figure out why a lot of times..

Anyone near Media?  Looking for some hatching eggs that are local.  We just hatched a few silkies

Blarney is pretty close.....what type of birds are you looking for? I might have a couple of mixes BO or GLW covered by CCL ...though sometimes the young boy gets his butt kicked by the GLW....

Blarney is pretty close.....what type of birds are you looking for? I might have a couple of mixes BO or GLW covered by CCL ...though sometimes the young boy gets his butt kicked by the GLW....

If I say I have no idea what the abbreviations are for does that make me a weenie?
smile.png

chance to type on a real keyboard....priceless....

laptop broken and have been trying to keep up on the ipad, good for reading but not typing..

Silkie, everything arrived in great shape and my daughter loves you....she wants me to order some of your soaps also,,,told her to figure out which one's first...

just hatched 3 rhodebar tis morning..If I am looking at them right I have 1 roo and 2 hens..

Those talking about processing, I also have some of the equipment,,,i use a turkey fryer for dunking and have a plucker, can travel for the right deal.

Leaving on Tuesday morning for a well needed vacation (first in 5 years)..well it is kind of a working vacation, going to ag progress in penn state but since we are also going camping for 5 days ,I get to call it a vacation..

sorry to read about all the losses, it's frustrating to figure out why a lot of times..
clap.gif
enjoy your vacation!!! The Penn State venue sounds very interesting!! I think getting ready for one and unpacking after is the pain of it all...Have a good one, you deserve it!!

(caution to anyone eating brunch right now)

I've noticed that my two week old chicks sometimes let out dark brown, gel- like poops. Is that normal, or should I be concerned? And it is not coming from the one with wobbly legs- his poops are the picture of perfection.

Back
Top Bottom