Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

chick fever has sprung, I tried to resist but didn't work,

and after spending way to much on eggs that very seldom have good hatches I am now buying chicks, way to many, but to get what you want you gotta take the extra'a,,,anyone in the market for chicks...

and since these chicks are auction and I get ticked when I get a challenge,,, well you all know that when I set my mind that i want something anything can happen..

Rare chicken breeds sell/swap on facebook.....if you would like to see what will be available,,,,,and i got one person that keeps raising the amounts

chick fever has sprung, I tried to resist but didn't work,

and after spending way to much on eggs that very seldom have good hatches I am now buying chicks, way to many, but to get what you want you gotta take the extra'a,,,anyone in the market for chicks...

and since these chicks are auction and I get ticked when I get a challenge,,, well you all know that when I set my mind that i want something anything can happen..

Rare chicken breeds sell/swap on facebook.....if you would like to see what will be available,,,,,and i got one person that keeps raising the amounts
That's why I try to stay away from auctions. It might be something I'm only mildly interested in.
Then along comes somebody bidding against me. My heart starts racing, my ears burn and before I know it I've bid way over the actual value just to prove a point and get it over that other person who dares to bid against me. XD

I am trying very hard to resist the chick fever. But every time I go into Tractor Supply my eyes go right back to where the chicks will be when they get them in. Though I keep telling myself I will NOT get chicks from there. And I'm staying away from Country Junction right now as well because I know they've got the incubators going full speed ahead. All those little balls of fluff in the brooders. I just can't resist. So I stay away till warmer weather. ^_^

on a side note with the auction

there's 3 of them I will not walk away from..

meaning that after i watch chicks growing for awhile, I will have some for sale

Ray when is the next sat thing at TSC

The U.S. Department of Agriculture is hosting a webinar and simultaneous Twitter chat with experts to help both groups acquire and grow a healthy flock.
Called “Spring into Action: Maintaining a Healthy (and Growing) Flock,” the webinar and chat is an hour-long, online presentation by three poultry experts. They will share information and answer questions about introducing new birds to your flock, buying and raising healthy poultry and how to keep them free from disease and predators. The webinar will take place on Thursday, February 27 from 2 – 3 p.m. EST. To guarantee a place at the webinar, go to the Biosecurity For Birds’ website for the link. ([COLOR=07689B]http://communique.adobeconnect.com/healthybirds/
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=005CB1]http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/02/prweb11550511.htm
[/COLOR]
Thanks for the info, Sally!

Gosh...is that all the longer I can expect to see my gals to be laying? I thought they would lay much longer than that.

Yes vicki it is very dissappointing. They will actually stop laying. If you want chickens that will lay longer you need to go with a heritage breed. If you get your chicks from a hatchery, even if they are not the hybrid egg breeds, most of them lay pretty well. It still is not for a long period of time. For example, I have a SLW hen from a breeder. She is 7 years old and still lays. A hatchery SLW would have quit after 3-4 years probably. So if you want your girls to make you breakfast, and lay longer. I would recommend getting chicks from a breeder.

Gosh...is that all the longer I can expect to see my gals to be laying?  I thought they would lay much longer than that.

Yes vicki it is very dissappointing.  They will actually stop laying.  If you want chickens that will lay longer you need to go with a heritage breed.  If you get your chicks from a hatchery, even if they are not the hybrid egg breeds, most of them lay pretty well.  It still is not for a long period of time.  For example, I have a SLW hen from a breeder.  She is 7 years old and still lays.  A hatchery SLW would have quit after 3-4 years probably.  So if you want your girls to make you breakfast, and lay longer.  I would recommend getting chicks from a breeder.

Actually, under the proper conditions even a production breed will continue to lay well (though not every single day as in their first year) as long as they are properly taken care of. My production girls are well past their first year but are still my top layers with 5-6 eggs each per week. Most of my heritage girls come in with 4-5 eggs per week. I have a few EE who are 6-7 eggs per week like my production girls started out.

Stole my daughter's crayons after lunch...lol

Back
Top Bottom