Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Get them turned fat end up asap!

My neighbor down over the hill has 20+ hives lined up along our driveway. We've been seeing bees every time temps are above freezing. Been really bad last 2 days. All I can say is if my kids get stung walking to or from the bus because his hives are too close to the driveway there will be a war!!! My kids have to walk within 15 ft of the front of at least 10 of them to get to the bus.

Ok done!  Thanks all, like I said I've always turned them by hand, and there was no info with the turner.  Once again all of you are the best source of info!!

Glad we could help. I have eggs in my bator also. I have always used a turner so it just comes natural to put them small end down. Think of it this way, the same way they pack eggs in cartons is how you want them to be in your turner. Now you can choose at lockdown to leave the eggs in the turner or take them out. I personally take them out and just lay them on their side on the bottom of the bator.

Sitting on my front porch and I kid you not I just got buzzed by a honey bee!
Hey all, I have been hatching my own chicks for the past 4 years and have never used a turner. I got one this year, and am using it currently. Someone told me that I should put my eggs in little end down, I didn't do that. Should I switch my eggs? Any advice?
These are some of my bees today. They are happy to be flying. :)
My neighbor down over the hill has 20+ hives lined up along our driveway. We've been seeing bees every time temps are above freezing. Been really bad last 2 days. All I can say is if my kids get stung walking to or from the bus because his hives are too close to the driveway there will be a war!!! My kids have to walk within 15 ft of the front of at least 10 of them to get to the bus.
That would mean war for me too... Would it help if maybe you went and talked to him before it happens and ask him if he can move them some... Just tell him your concerns.. Maybe it will work..:confused:
I'm the new person on the hill & he has already been rather rude & obnoxious the 2 times that I have talked to him. He has already been obnoxious about it to everyone else up here.
Which way do his hives face? Ten feet is the general clearance suggested for the front of a hive, and you should be able to walk right beside or behind a hive without problems. Honey bees are not typically aggressive unless they are disturbed.
They face the driveway, are 5-10 ft from the edge & the driveway is less than 8 ft wide. So the max distance my kids can get from them is 18ft without "trespassing" on the other side of the driveway which is also his lot & whete he plants his garden. Kids are not always going to remember to stay quiet & on the opposite side of the driveway as far as they can get. There's no reason why he couldn't run them along the edge of the woods & face them away fron the shared driveway. Like I said, my kids get stung even once & I will make sure he is never allowed to have bees on his property again.

Hey all, I have been hatching my own chicks for the past 4 years and have never used a turner. I got one this year, and am using it currently. Someone told me that I should put my eggs in little end down, I didn't do that. Should I switch my eggs? Any advice?
These are some of my bees today. They are happy to be flying. :)
That would mean war for me too... Would it help if maybe you went and talked to him before it happens and ask him if he can move them some... Just tell him your concerns.. Maybe it will work..:confused:
I'm the new person on the hill & he has already been rather rude & obnoxious the 2 times that I have talked to him. He has already been obnoxious about it to everyone else up here.
Which way do his hives face? Ten feet is the general clearance suggested for the front of a hive, and you should be able to walk right beside or behind a hive without problems. Honey bees are not typically aggressive unless they are disturbed.
They face the driveway, are 5-10 ft from the edge & the driveway is less than 8 ft wide. So the max distance my kids can get from them is 18ft without "trespassing" on the other side of the driveway which is also his lot & whete he plants his garden. Kids are not always going to remember to stay quiet & on the opposite side of the driveway as far as they can get. There's no reason why he couldn't run them along the edge of the woods & face them away fron the shared driveway. Like I said, my kids get stung even once & I will make sure he is never allowed to have bees on his property again.
Do townships ever have ordinances on where they can be placed? I wonder if your township might be able to help at all...? Just a thought...

Just a question about egg positioning in the bater....I can understand rolling them every day....I watched my broody do it...but I eggs just don't stand on end (little side or big side) so if a broody doesn't stand them on end...why in the bater???(I just set my first egg two days ago, so I am learning)......

Just a question about egg positioning in the bater....I can understand rolling them every day....I watched my broody do it...but I eggs just don't stand on end (little side or big side) so if a broody doesn't stand them on end...why in the bater???(I just set my first egg two days ago, so I am learning)......

The turner should tilt them about 45 degrees each way. They are on an incline, but imagine if you were hand turning and you wanted to keep the big end up for some reason (like they were shipped eggs and the air cells got messed up and you need to keep them mostly upright to try to fix that). Anyway, if you hand turned "correctly", they would end up on the same incline but the side that was up before is now down, the exact effect of tilting to 45 degrees the other direction.

Some large eggs, like peacocks, hatch better if left on their side and rolled or tilted sideways, but chickens can be done either way, and incubators fit more eggs vertically.

Great news everyone, I found someone who has and will sell me some SS eggs! I am so happy right now!
Mt next quest is to find some Creme Legbar eggs... Anyone have any of those??
smile.png
Nice! congrats on finding the cl eggs too ^^ where did you find ss eggs?

We're in the Harrisburg area. Anyone know if there's a chickenstock nearby anytime soon? We are looking for Dominiques and Wellsummers (just one or two...)
Welcome from southern york county ^^ I don't know about swaps/chickenstocks, though we wanna get one started in york county sometime if there is enough interest. I go with a group down to Sharpsburg maryland swap ^^ there next one is June 14th and we carpool down. It's a fun day trip ^^ there's a group that meets monthly in shrewsbury pa for drinks/talks/raffle fun ^^

I for one would pay more at a swap then at auction,,,,,better chance to look over them and not have to make that split second decision cause someone else is bidding
Ditto! I agree completely.

Did anyone else see the sunset tonight!? I didn't get outside early enough to catch the purples and pinks that were there. But I got some of the color.

Great news everyone, I found someone who has and will sell me some SS eggs! I am so happy right now! Mt next quest is to find some Creme Legbar eggs... Anyone have any of those?? :)
Nice! congrats on finding the cl eggs too ^^ where did you find ss eggs?
I contacted Lancaster Fancy Fowl. They said they normally do not sell just the eggs but they would make an exception. :celebrate I have been so hystatic since they told me they would sell me some eggs!

Question... what is the best way to package hatching eggs to mail out? I have a dozen to ship this week and don't want to screw it up. They are small EE, OE and Cochin. I will not be using duct tape lol.

Back
Top Bottom