Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

my first chick hatched today!!!!

Now for a few questions! Haha

how long should I keep him in there for? How long till he should start eating and drinking ?

Hey Pennsylvanians!!!!

Please see the link below to access the information flyer for our Annual Special Spring Auction at the Green Dragon Farmer's Market in Ephrata, PA on Saturday, May 17th, 2014.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask or call my cell...number is on the flyer.

Thanks!!

Keith

http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/2051634.html

You're KILLING me! That is the same day as the Sussex, NJ show!!!!
hit.gif

Learned a very important lesson tonight.
When you set duck eggs in the incubator, make sure they are all duck eggs.

Came home from dinner and found her in the incubator.

my first chick hatched today!!!!

Now for a few questions! Haha

how long should I keep him in there for? How long till he should start eating and drinking ?

Congratulations!! What a cutie. She should be ok for 2-3 days (sounds harsh, but think of the chicks that get shipped, they're fine for a few days without food water or heat). I usually wait until there are at least 2 hatched and none pipped before I move them over.

Last edited:
Congratulations!! What a cutie. She should be ok for 2-3 days (sounds harsh, but think of the chicks that get shipped, they're fine for a few days with food water or heat). I usually wait until there are at least 2 hatched and none pipped before I move them over.

I agree, though I find it hard to leave them in the incubator that long. I've never had a problem I can attribute to leaving them in too long, but I have had some problems I believe were caused or exacerbated by taking out chicks too soon.

I also think (just a theory), that the first chicks cheeping makes the ones still in the shell to work harder/faster at hatching. I wonder if an audio recording of chicks cheeping, and maybe a hen making clucking noises would be beneficial in the time just before hatching. I guess that would be sort of false advertising, to make the chicks think a hen is there waiting for them.

Back
Top Bottom