Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Good morning,
How is everyone liking the sudden cool down?
Me, not so much, I like the hot days of summer.
How will this cool weather affect the garden crops, hubby wants t plant the rest of the garden this weekend, but I just can not get into the garden thing this year, wonder if it's the weather..

First 2 broodies have eggs, both have 7 Muscovy eggs.
Turkey eggs are here, will give them to the girls tomorrow......really they can not mess up any worse than I do.

Crops should be OK. It isn't that cold. I got everything in I have space for. I haven't seen my cucumbers come up yet, and I just put my soybeans in yesterday. The edible type, I prefer them to limas.

As usual I have some left over seed from almost everything, probably save it until next year, or scatter plant it in some open space so the wildlife can enjoy it. Groundhogs never have enough to eat!

Out of 18 eggs in the incubator I have 6 with veining and the rest are clear or have the blood ring. I had a temp spike to 104 the other day. I wonder if that is what caused some to die. They are also mail order eggs so I guess I should be grateful that I got 6 with veining. Last summer my last batch of mail order had zero out of 12. I wish my Silkie would go broody again. She is almost 2 and only went broody once. My other Silkie we got in the fall and I'm not sure how old she is (they said a year) or if she ever went broody. I thought Silkies went broody all the time???

I'm hoping the weather improves today. It's the kids school picnic to Kennywood and I'm not wasting $75 on tickets to go in the rain. Fingers crossed it stops soon!!!

Have a great day everyone!

Good morning,
How is everyone liking the sudden cool down?
Me, not so much, I like the hot days of summer.
How will this cool weather affect the garden crops, hubby wants t plant the rest of the garden this weekend, but I just can not get into the garden thing this year, wonder if it's the weather..

First 2 broodies have eggs, both have 7 Muscovy eggs.
Turkey eggs are here, will give them to the girls tomorrow......really they can not mess up any worse than I do.

Waiting for the warm weather tomorrow also. This cool weather is not so good for my corn I planted. I had it in nice even rows until the girls broke into the garden after the wind blew down my fence... We'll see what pops up!

Etters, PA between Harrisburg and York.
Looking for a local feed store for a good organic grower feed...any suggestions?

search for borderbrigade on here. Her neighbor runs a small organic mill and she's near harrisburg. It's a3hourdrive for usus up that's where we went for ours (got a big stockpile). Our chicks have been doing really well on it and it's a very decent price (we got soy free so it cost a little more). She's not on often but you could try.

I'm hoping the weather improves today. It's the kids school picnic to Kennywood and I'm not wasting $75 on tickets to go in the rain. Fingers crossed it stops soon!!!

Have a great day everyone!
When I saw you were going to Kennywood I about spit out my coffee! I'm either not looking or you are the only PA resident in SW PA on this thread!

Hubs drives school bus and I tag along when it's his school day there.

Glad to see someone from my neck of the woods! ;)

I hope the rain holds off for you.

My girls are loving free ranging, and I enjoy it too, but this morning and yesterday morning I found my leghorn on the neighbors side of the fence. The neighbor with the 120# Cane Corso! He's not in the yard much and doesn't seem to have much of a prey drive, but he is a dog. My fence is 4' high. Do you guys think trimming her primary flight feathers would keep her on my side of the fence? She is about 13-14 weeks old and she is the only adventurous one....so far.

Also, while walking my dog this morning, I saw an empty bag of Layena in my neighbors trash :eek:. I thought they may have had chickens, I thought I saw a Backyard Chickens bumper sticker on their car last year (and then it was gone!). Now I have evidence! (And a bag! I "stole" it to make a tote bag!) it's not stealing if it's in the trash right? :oops: Upcycling? Isn't that the trendy word we're using now? Lol.

I can't wait to talk to my neighbors whom I've never met before! :weee. Someone else has chickens around here! :yesss:

I am liking the cool weather..................I have such low energy when it gets super hot!

I like 70's the best though!

It would be good to be a bit warmer for the veggies and berries etc..............

my gals love free ranging and I let them out and sit and watch them to be sure they don't go off of my property or that a dog or hawk does not get them.

If I cant sit and watch them then they go in their run.

Because of this they get out only for like a 30 min stretch or so................they love it!

Plus , do to all this rain , their run is rather muddy..............I feel sorry for them in there! I put some additional branches in their run so they would have some dry perches.

I am looking forward to this weekends weather and really really looking forward to the end of the school year

after June 15th I will have a week off that I am just super excited about!

I hope THAT week is ideal weather.................IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK? Maybe................but I am still asking!

Back
Top Bottom