Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hello all just wanted to say hi and I have 5 chickens I just love them just got them about a month ago they love it here they were on a farm my buddy gave them to me I got a silky they are really cool she is so awesome her name is checkers my other four are I mix of different chickens me and my daughter really are enjoying them she is six and is just amazed at how much fun it is getting eggs and helping me keep them clean and all that stuff ok well just wanted to introduce myself

Hello all just wanted to say hi and I have 5 chickens I just love them just got them about a month ago they love it here they were on a farm my buddy gave them to me I got a silky they are really cool she is so awesome her name is checkers my other four are I mix of different chickens me and my daughter really are enjoying them she is six and is just amazed at how much fun it is getting eggs and helping me keep them clean and all that stuff ok well just wanted to introduce myself
Welcome
smile.png

I have used this one for the last 3 years, we like it...

http://www.pickyourown.org/ketchup.htm#.U_okCqi3Ncs

Hubby opens jars and dumps them in a squeeze bottle, for some reason he thinks it must come out of a squeeze bottle

Thank you :) we actually use that site a lot I guess I just didn't think to look for ketchup on the lol. My daughter will be the same way as your husband. She won't eat it if it's not in a squeeze bottle lol

Welcome! We have 16 chickens we just got this year and my kids love them too. Seems like every time I turn around they have one lol.

I have used this one for the last 3 years, we like it...

http://www.pickyourown.org/ketchup.htm#.U_okCqi3Ncs

Hubby opens jars and dumps them in a squeeze bottle, for some reason he thinks it must come out of a squeeze bottle

Glad to see you back!

Thank you!
It feels good to have a little time to be on here..

Hubby tells me to relax and just go buy all the stuff that I insist on making at this time of year.....
So it is either sick and exhausted from all the extra work or sick from eating the crap that you buy...

I think I will keep being exhausted instead.

Welcome to the wonderful world of poultry!

I see you discovered the joys of "just in time coop building" too. I'm constantly trying to keep ahead of our growing flock.

Yes it seems to be a right of passage. I already am planning new addition. chicken math go to love it.

Hello PSC from north of Pittsburgh. I too am working on getting my coop done. My 8 pullets  :fl  are tying up my chicken tractor so my CX meat birds are stuck in their now too small brooder. 

Hopefully all will get caught up this weekend. 

oh dear.....   :gig

My coop is a decent size. I'm repurposing an old shed into a coop. It will be 10x8 coop with a 10x20 run plus the rest of the yard is fenced to if we decide to let them have supervised ranging. I have 2 chicken tractors for my small flock until the coop is done.

Long post:

Just saved on my red sex links life...Our two dalmatians love the chickens and when in the field never pay any mind to them. Our lab mix on the other hand we only had him for a year and is curious and will be relaxing one minute then go after a chicken the other. Our Dalmatians were raised since 6 months with chickens so they never hurt them. Well I let the dogs outside in their fenced in area (chickens are free ranged) then go to get ome treats to feed the chickens. Come outside all three are hovered over a red sex link who is on her back, and I assume at this moment she is dead. I hurry and gather the dogs up put them in their crates inside the house. Meanwhile our rooster is going crazy. I went over to her, she was laying on her back, and her head/neck was wet, I assume from our lab. I thought she was dead until I saw her chest moving up and down from her breathing. So carefully I turn her over and put her on her feet. After about 5 minutes she is walking around and even eating some treats and concerned on how to get over to her flock. I guess being on her back caused her to go unconscious? I've heard of hanging them upside down by their feet does, but not just laying them on their back. Anyway we let her with rest of her flock, giving everyone treats so they would leave her alone and not make a big deal about her almost dieing. She goes to her favorite hiding spot and is just relaxing. I am sure she is scared after the ordeal. I checked her over and as far as I can tell no broken bones. She isn't bleeding. It looks like they just pulled feathers from her butt so I put some blu knot on her. When i went outside one of my Dalmatians had a mouth full of her feathers. But my questions is how long will it take her to go with rest of the flock? I have to figure a way to keep them from flying over the dog fence, Clipping wings isn't an option because they fly to get away from other predators.

So that was my original post. Today she hasn't come out of the run, we have a small run for them, but let them free range. She is just standing in one spot. How long should I give her to recover? I think maybe they broke something when they attacked her. I don't want to cull her but I don't want her to suffer. She eats but doesn't peck nearly as fast as normal. She never came out to free range with everyone else. Any ideas what I can do? as far as I can tell, no egg was laid either.

Looks like someone broke open a pillow.

Little man telling me to back off with the camera.

Turkeys are counting the days.

Time to hang up and dry the money.

They are starting to actually look like bunnies instead of rats.

So what did everyone else do today?

Long post:

Just saved on my red sex links life...Our two dalmatians love the chickens and when in the field never pay any mind to them. Our lab mix on the other hand we only had him for a year and is curious and will be relaxing one minute then go after a chicken the other. Our Dalmatians were raised since 6 months with chickens so they never hurt them. Well I let the dogs outside in their fenced in area (chickens are free ranged) then go to get ome treats to feed the chickens. Come outside all three are hovered over a red sex link who is on her back, and I assume at this moment she is dead. I hurry and gather the dogs up put them in their crates inside the house. Meanwhile our rooster is going crazy. I went over to her, she was laying on her back, and her head/neck was wet, I assume from our lab. I thought she was dead until I saw her chest moving up and down from her breathing. So carefully I turn her over and put her on her feet. After about 5 minutes she is walking around and even eating some treats and concerned on how to get over to her flock. I guess being on her back caused her to go unconscious? I've heard of hanging them upside down by their feet does, but not just laying them on their back. Anyway we let her with rest of her flock, giving everyone treats so they would leave her alone and not make a big deal about her almost dieing. She goes to her favorite hiding spot and is just relaxing. I am sure she is scared after the ordeal. I checked her over and as far as I can tell no broken bones. She isn't bleeding. It looks like they just pulled feathers from her butt so I put some blu knot on her. When i went outside one of my Dalmatians had a mouth full of her feathers. But my questions is how long will it take her to go with  rest of the flock? I have to figure a way to keep them from flying over the dog fence, Clipping wings isn't an option because they fly to get away from other predators.

So that was my original post. Today she hasn't come out of the run, we have a small run for them, but let them free range. She is just standing in one spot. How long should I give her to recover? I think maybe they broke something when they attacked her. I don't want to cull her but I don't want her to suffer. She eats but doesn't peck nearly as fast as normal. She never came out to free range with everyone else. Any ideas what I can do? as far as I can tell, no egg was laid either.

She could be in shock, that was quite the ordeal for her.

Back
Top Bottom