Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I have a 7month old partridge cochin that i believe just went broody 2 days ago is it to late to fix this? Can it be fixed? Is it normal? What should i do?

I think Anne's advice is spot on, there is another way she hadn't mentioned and that would be to put eggs under her..:oops:

@ Stake, we plan on processing 2, the other 2... I'm not sure, I tried to get DS to sell them, not sure if we'll keep for breeding. The turkeys have been so hard on the chickens and each other, not something I want to breed, although they do make a lovely sound.

@Hendricks, back right is an eastern hen, front right is a Slate/Royal Palm mix, front left is a slate tom.

My chickens are babies...We hatched out chicks and gave 4 away today. Neighbor came to pick them up. The Chickens all were on the porch until they saw her..They ran and hid into their coop LOL

Baby photos:

My silkies:

Kept both of these :)

Partridge silkie/ Brown leghorn

Kept the one on the right

Partridge Silkie/ Red Sexlink

there were 2, gave neighbor this one

Speckled Sussex/ White leghorn

Kept the one on the right with the spots

Last edited:

LMP, that is a Partridge Rock standing behind the Barred Rock.

Last edited:
Well, it isn't the answer I expected, but I have rehomed most of the birds, and they are going to process a few for me to make up what they couldn't pay. I can stop going crazy worrying about who/what/when and where I am going to process.
I expect to be bird free by Thursday. It is going to be so weird!!
I will pop in now and then, and share sunset pictures with you. I used to get some awesome ones when I was in the truck with DH years ago. That and cactus. Lots and lots and lots of cactus. Maybe a mountain goat or wild buffalo. There are some awesome sights out there!

Well, it isn't the answer I expected, but I have rehomed most of the birds, and they are going to process a few for me to make up what they couldn't pay. I can stop going crazy worrying about who/what/when and where I am going to process.
I will pop in now and then, and share sunset pictures with you. I used to get some awesome ones when I was in the truck with DH years ago. That and cactus. Lots and lots and lots of cactus. Maybe a mountain goat or wild buffalo. There are some awesome sights out there!

How many birds do you have now? It will be weird! When I was on vacation, I couldn't get over how quiet it was. I love to hear my girls as background noise. I hope all goes well for you and your family! :hugs :fl

So my adventure continues. The little chicken a.k.a. oddball followed me back to the coop tonight and went in by herself and got on the roost with the other girls. She is stil being taunted and chased by the other girls, but I think it will get better with time... And more chickens...

On that note, the guy emailed me back about the silkies. I am going to pick them up tomorrow. Any body want two Silkies? I really don't think I can keep them all. And Im sure I'll come home with them all. He said the Silkie mix was a chicken that had escaped and lived in the woods behind him, until a friendly neighbor brought it back recently. He decided to get the 4 Silkie chicks so that the older one would not be alone, but I think he just wants to find them a home. The chicks are not currently cohabitating with the older chicken. Will it be WW3 if I put them all in a pen separated from my girls for a couple days? Not sure how to integrate these new ones....

good luck in your new adventure! I can't wait to see some awesome pictures.

LMP, that is a Partridge Rock standing behind the Barred Rock.
i really like the dark red/brown going on there...mahogany...i really liked the barred there
smack.gif
now & then?@!?
barnie.gif
...hahaha...i know you have my number...will be waiting not-patiently
tongue2.gif
.....just make sure you keep the time-lines correct...if you call me at 2 in the morning..
...I will find you
cool.png

In theory there is a difference in the wing feather arrangement in SFH. long short long short vs all equal length primary wing feathers on one or two day old chicks. There are those that are good at it.

Of course over two years and a ee hundred chicks, my make female ratio is closer to 70/30 than the expected 50/50 if I figure in the reports from those who have hatched my eggs.

Wow! I would fall right in line with your ratio. 1 hen, 2 roos for my SFH. I looked very very closely at the primary feather length immediately after hatching and they were all the same for these 3. They would have all been "female" by their feathers. Only on my Americana did I have feather variation - of the 9, 3 appeared to be male, but that didn't pan out - only 1 of those was male, and 3 others that didn't seem to be male were male. So I did see clearly 2 different ways primary feathers can come in - it just didn't align with sex.

Interesting ratio for SFH. Guess you have to plan to eat or sell a lot of them if you hatch on a regular basis.

My chickens are babies...We hatched out chicks and gave 4 away today. Neighbor came to pick them up. The Chickens all were on the porch until they saw her..They ran and hid into their coop LOL

Baby photos:

My silkies:

Kept both of these :)

Partridge silkie/ Brown leghorn

Kept the one on the right

Partridge Silkie/ Red Sexlink

there were 2, gave neighbor this one

Speckled Sussex/ White leghorn

Kept the one on the right with the spots
beautiful babies
love.gif

Back