Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Wow! you're doing something right, one of mine started laying just last week and she has at least a month, maybe 6 weeks on your CCL. I wish I could get you a CCL roo so you could start hatching her eggs.

Not sure what I'd be doing different lol. I get organic feed and ferment it for them from day one but mine haven't gotten to really free range much at all this year since the garden's been in. We haven't managed to finish the fence around it yet and the girls won't stay out of it lol. A CCL roo would be awesome :) I'll just gave to be patient in that one though lol

So... The baby I have been most anxious about made a surprise appearance!

Backstory:
Mare was/is the neighbors, but I am buying her (hard to so when you have more into feeding her for 2 months than her purchase price). She was brought over when the neighbor asked to use my pasture. I asked for Dusty because she was the worst of all his horses - although all were malnourished.

After 9 days here - 5/14/15 (sorry, no first day pics - she was really in bad condition).

One week later 5/21/15:

Another week 5/28/15:

Yet another week (6/4/15):

I slacked off on the pics since not a whole lot has changed. Until tonight....

Dusty gave birth to a red dun filly! I was so unready - I am currently freaking out over what could have gone wrong because she showed no signs and I didn't find her and the foal until after the fact. Lets hope both stay healthy and all goes well... A lot could still go wrong. This is my first foal, so I am even more paranoid that most, I think.

So... The baby I have been most anxious about made a surprise appearance!

Backstory:
Mare was/is the neighbors, but I am buying her (hard to so when you have more into feeding her for 2 months than her purchase price). She was brought over when the neighbor asked to use my pasture. I asked for Dusty because she was the worst of all his horses - although all were malnourished.

After 9 days here - 5/14/15 (sorry, no first day pics - she was really in bad condition).

One week later 5/21/15:

Another week 5/28/15:

Yet another week (6/4/15):

I slacked off on the pics since not a whole lot has changed. Until tonight....

Dusty gave birth to a red dun filly! I was so unready - I am currently freaking out over what could have gone wrong because she showed no signs and I didn't find her and the foal until after the fact. Lets hope both stay healthy and all goes well... A lot could still go wrong. This is my first foal, so I am even more paranoid that most, I think.
Oh wow! that was surprise for sure.....they are beautiful!
love.gif
Hey if you think about it....you got a 2fer......
thumbsup.gif

They look really good. Fingers crossed for no health problems!
fl.gif

Last edited:
So... The baby I have been most anxious about made a surprise appearance! Backstory: Mare was/is the neighbors, but I am buying her (hard to so when you have more into feeding her for 2 months than her purchase price). She was brought over when the neighbor asked to use my pasture. I asked for Dusty because she was the worst of all his horses - although all were malnourished. After 9 days here - 5/14/15 (sorry, no first day pics - she was really in bad condition). One week later 5/21/15: Another week 5/28/15: Yet another week (6/4/15): I slacked off on the pics since not a whole lot has changed. Until tonight.... Dusty gave birth to a red dun filly! I was so unready - I am currently freaking out over what could have gone wrong because she showed no signs and I didn't find her and the foal until after the fact. Lets hope both stay healthy and all goes well... A lot could still go wrong. This is my first foal, so I am even more paranoid that most, I think.
Wow! What a difference you've made! Pretty sweet looking, Momma and baby alike.

I knew she was in foal. I said it was going to be late June, early July. I just checked her and she was bagged up, but her teats weren't firm. She ate her night time grain as usual... No restlessness... nothing to make me think she was ready to foal. I have had her on one heck of a feeding schedule trying to put the weight back on her before the foal was born. I was afraid Dusty would be to weak to give birth if she would have went sooner, or the foal would be weak. Or I would loose both... Just, I wanted her here because of her conditions - pregnant and severely underweight. I was trying to give her every chance I could - especially after finding out the neighbor lost 2 foals over winter because the mares aborted them. Again, all his mares were bred and all were underweight. Some not as bad as Dusty and some not much better than her. She was the worst though.

The New Hampshire chick - the yellow one - is now named Ruth. The two black copper maran girls are Cate and Duplicate, since I can't tell them apart. The black copper maran boy is Pete. The blue copper maran is Zippy.

I knew she was in foal. I said it was going to be late June, early July. I just checked her and she was bagged up, but her teats weren't firm. She ate her night time grain as usual... No restlessness... nothing to make me think she was ready to foal. I have had her on one heck of a feeding schedule trying to put the weight back on her before the foal was born. I was afraid Dusty would be to weak to give birth if she would have went sooner, or the foal would be weak. Or I would loose both... Just, I wanted her here because of her conditions - pregnant and severely underweight. I was trying to give her every chance I could - especially after finding out the neighbor lost 2 foals over winter because the mares aborted them. Again, all his mares were bred and all were underweight. Some not as bad as Dusty and some not much better than her. She was the worst though.

whoops apparently I can't read.....lol well they look really good...I feel for his other horses...I know you can't take them all....again best wishes with both of them

So... The baby I have been most anxious about made a surprise appearance! Backstory: Mare was/is the neighbors, but I am buying her (hard to so when you have more into feeding her for 2 months than her purchase price). She was brought over when the neighbor asked to use my pasture. I asked for Dusty because she was the worst of all his horses - although all were malnourished. After 9 days here - 5/14/15 (sorry, no first day pics - she was really in bad condition). One week later 5/21/15: Another week 5/28/15: Yet another week (6/4/15): I slacked off on the pics since not a whole lot has changed. Until tonight.... Dusty gave birth to a red dun filly! I was so unready - I am currently freaking out over what could have gone wrong because she showed no signs and I didn't find her and the foal until after the fact. Lets hope both stay healthy and all goes well... A lot could still go wrong. This is my first foal, so I am even more paranoid that most, I think.
Wow! That's incredible! I know nothing about horses and I can tell a huge difference. So glad you were able to make a difference in their lives. It's such a shame when people don't take of their animals. The poor things have no choice to be there. Glad she had her foal "easily". :D

Back
Top Bottom