Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Lol, I actualy meant breeding pens for the chickens (forgot to mention that part lol). I'll only be keeping 1 Tom for the turkeys so I don't have to seperate them at all.
Thats still a good idea. As soon as I get my big turkey coop done I plan on using the small one with attached run as both a breeding pen and a quarantine pen......but not at the same time.

@RedRapter: I think you've got 2 cockerels there in the pic you were questioning, the barring is very light and combs look a bit pronounced.

In chicken news: our regional vet, Dr. Simeone, came by my place last week and gave me a brush-up demonstration on how to do tracheal swabs in chickens. She seems certain that AI will be coming this way. I questioned this as there have been no recent cases and she pointed out that the water fowl that are spreading the disease are pretty far north right now and that they are not near commercial farms -these birds are carriers, but are not dying from it. Once these birds migrate South, and come in contact with commercial farms we will see if indeed we will get it, so preparing now for an outbreak is key. I've decided for us that if there is an outbreak in PA. We will downsize to pets, and breeding trios and put them under roof. Possibly in the basement as we have no barn.

And then this happened:

I am sitting in the bathroom with my hen in the bath tub. She is egg bound
hit.gif
Any helpful information to help her pass her egg would be great. Going to crush up some tums and give her some. I feel so bad for her. She lays such big eggs and I think this one is too big for her to pass

Hello from Lycoming County everyone! New chicken mama here. Currently raising 46 birds (43 chicks, 3 ducks) between 1 week and 3 months old. So far has been a good experience. I am looking forward to the eggs and hopefully having a smooth winter!
Nice to meet everyone!

I've been gone for a while, busy with like 4 other jobs reg job,refinishing a tk for a friend trying to finish the baby's room before grandson gets here and all the yard work for the baby shower!! But anyway does anyone in southwest Pa know when the delmont tsc has its swap meet?

I am sitting in the bathroom with my hen in the bath tub. She is egg bound
hit.gif
Any helpful information to help her pass her egg would be great. Going to crush up some tums and give her some. I feel so bad for her. She lays such big eggs and I think this one is too big for her to pass

Bgirl:

I had this a year ago and lost mine,,,SS suggested using Olive oil as a lubricant.....hope things work out.....

@RedRapter: I think you've got 2 cockerels there in the pic you were questioning, the barring is very light and combs look a bit pronounced.

In chicken news: our regional vet, Dr. Simeone, came by my place last week and gave me a brush-up demonstration on how to do tracheal swabs in chickens. She seems certain that AI will be coming this way. I questioned this as there have been no recent cases and she pointed out that the water fowl that are spreading the disease are pretty far north right now and that they are not near commercial farms -these birds are carriers, but are not dying from it. Once these birds migrate South, and come in contact with commercial farms we will see if indeed we will get it, so preparing now for an outbreak is key. I've decided for us that if there is an outbreak in PA. We will downsize to pets, and breeding trios and put them under roof. Possibly in the basement as we have no barn.

And then this happened:

B:

I have my runs tarped...if AI appears....will keeping them in the tarp runs be enough protection?

Bgirl:t

I had this a year ago and lost mine,,,SS suggested using Olive oil as a lubricant.....hope things work out.....
I just soaked her in epsom salt and tried to massage gently. I don't have any olive oil, ran out and keep forgetting to pick some up. I did try to put some KY jelly in her vent. Tried to get her to drink some tums in water but she won't drink. I put some crushed egg shells with her but she isn't interested in them. It looks like she has a fist by her vent. I have no clue how big this egg is. She is about I think 3 years now. She is a barn yard mix.

Back
Top Bottom