Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Sorry to hear about your latest predator. Seems like you've had a pretty bad year for predators looking for free food.

Thanks, it has really been a tough summer. We didn't have any predation issues the whole first year through this spring. Even when we had a dozen bright white meat birds waddling around the yard virtually unprotected, no predator losses until later this summer. I'm really most upset about the pullet we lost. She was a mix that SilkieSensation gave me and she really had the most interesting coloring. I still haven't found any of her feathers around the yard to confirm that the dog did get her... But she also hasn't shown up yet so I doubt that she was just chased off and is hanging out in the woods.

Looks like I will have to sell off half of my chicken flock. My arm isn't getting any better and it is getting harder for me to take care of everyone :hit

Oh no! So sorry to hear
1f62d.png

Last edited:
I had quite the scare tonight! I thought I lost one of my RB pullets. Today was the first day that I left them out of their crate in the main coop. They were loving it and running all over the coop. Well, tonight, when I finally got out there to close up the coop, Roxie was missing.my guess is that when everyone stated heading in to go to bed, she panicked and ran out the door. My daughter had dance tonight so it was dark by the time we got home. Of course my flashlight batteries were dead so I was walking all over the place with an oil lantern trying to find her. I was about to give up when I stepped near her and she started peeping at me! Whew! She's safe and sound now, back in the crate in the coop with her brother and sister.

I had quite the scare tonight! I thought I lost one of my RB pullets. Today was the first day that I left them out of their crate in the main coop. They were loving it and running all over the coop. Well, tonight, when I finally got out there to close up the coop, Roxie was missing.my guess is that when everyone stated heading in to go to bed, she panicked and ran out the door. My daughter had dance tonight so it was dark by the time we got home. Of course my flashlight batteries were dead so I was walking all over the place with an oil lantern trying to find her. I was about to give up when I stepped near her and she started peeping at me! Whew! She's safe and sound now, back in the crate in the coop with her brother and sister.

I'm so glad you found her! I really like the little Rhodebar pullets I kept back. The best word I can think of to describe them is "sassy". When I catch one after chasing it, they invariably bite me hard and hold on, to express their displeasure. None of the other pullets do that, but it seems like every RB does. The older ones don't do that, but then I rarely chase them, they allow themselves to be picked up and seem to not be bothered by it. They are also the only ones that peck at my ear when I lean over next to a roost. Funny and naturally tame.

Sounds like rechargable batteries for the flashlight should be on your Christmas list!

I'm so glad you found her! I really like the little Rhodebar pullets I kept back. The best word I can think of to describe them is "sassy". When I catch one after chasing it, they invariably bite me hard and hold on, to express their displeasure. None of the other pullets do that, but it seems like every RB does. The older ones don't do that, but then I rarely chase them, they allow themselves to be picked up and seem to not be bothered by it. They are also the only ones that peck at my ear when I lean over next to a roost. Funny and naturally tame.

Sounds like rechargable batteries for the flashlight should be on your Christmas list!

They are rechargeable...they just don't fit into the 15 minute charger lol

Sassy is the perfect word for them! Mine don't bite but they are wild little things. I named them Roxie and Diva haha! Should go well with Cleo and Rosco :)

Sorry to hear about your latest predator. Seems like you've had a pretty bad year for predators looking for free food.

Thanks, it has really been a tough summer. We didn't have any predation issues the whole first year through this spring. Even when we had a dozen bright white meat birds waddling around the yard virtually unprotected, no predator losses until later this summer. I'm really most upset about the pullet we lost. She was a mix that SilkieSensation gave me and she really had the most interesting coloring. I still haven't found any of her feathers around the yard to confirm that the dog did get her... But she also hasn't shown up yet so I doubt that she was just chased off and is hanging out in the woods.

Oh no! Which 1 was it? It wasn't the black & white 1 was it?

They are rechargeable...they just don't fit into the 15 minute charger lol

Sassy is the perfect word for them! Mine don't bite but they are wild little things. I named them Roxie and Diva haha! Should go well with Cleo and Rosco
smile.png
Try picking one up while they are eating some treat and hold your finger in front of their face. I bet you get an "I'm upset with you, now put me down" bite. The first time one did that, I was shocked and nearly let her go. It left a mark, and now I know to only expose less tender parts of my hand if I make one of them mad, LOL. I think it shows how comfortable they are with people, even without a lot of handling.

My turkeys bite too, when I am not producing treats fast enough for them. Especially if I'm wearing green gloves, they can't tell where the dandelions stop and my hands start, so they taste it just in case that's edible too.

So does anyone else have a coop that looks like a sorority pillow fight scene?? jeez, our girls should be naked if you went by the looks of all the feathers on the floor right now!
. My poultry yard is like that! I keep thinking a large hawk or eagle was in there, yet all birds are present and accounted for. :confused:

Sooo pretty! Makes me want turkeys again.

Anybody know where to get contournix quail in Chester county I'm looking for like 2 adult females

Ms. ladyhawke has quail, she doesn't get on BYC as often as before. PM me and I'll check with her.

Last edited:
My turkeys bite too, when I am not producing treats fast enough for them. Especially if I'm wearing green gloves, they can't tell where the dandelions stop and my hands start, so they taste it just in case that's edible too.

Ouch,I know that feeling! All of my turkeys will bite trying to get the treats but if I paint my nails, they try to rip them from my body! Pebbles is the only one who bites for no reason other than the fact that I'm not paying attention to her. She doesn't just nibble either. If she gets a finger, she holds on tight and shakes her head. She usually snuggles up with me as soon as she has my attention lol.

Back
Top Bottom