Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hey everyone! Long time no see! Merry Christmas! I hope Santa was good to everyone.

I got my first duck egg EVER today! So excited, it was in a nest box too (I have two ground level nest boxes for the ducks).

I got a HovaBator for Christmas... call ducklings, anyone?
1f60f.png

Hey Chippy! Welcome back! Congrats on the first egg and the wonderful Christmas present! You'll have that thing filled up in no time :)

Finally got an egg yesterday!!!! Not sure which one, but I am happy!
Kudos!
Got my MPC eggs today. Eggs shipped out on Saturday the 26th, I received them on Monday the 28th. No damage to any of them. Won a dozen eggs and they sent 16 (14 Dominiques and 2 Black Copper Marans). They are currently resting and will go into the bator tomorrow.
Sweet! Did you win these on the NYD Hatch thread?
Hey everyone! Long time no see! Merry Christmas! I hope Santa was good to everyone. I got my first duck egg EVER today! So excited, it was in a nest box too (I have two ground level nest boxes for the ducks).
1f60f.png
Oh My! That's a big egg!!
Hey everyone! Long time no see! Merry Christmas! I hope Santa was good to everyone. I got my first duck egg EVER today! So excited, it was in a nest box too (I have two ground level nest boxes for the ducks).
1f60f.png
Hey Chippy! Welcome back! Congrats on the first egg and the wonderful Christmas present! You'll have that thing filled up in no time :)
Thanks! I sure hope to have it filled up. I plan to use my HovaBator as my incubator and my LG as a hatcher. That means I can hatch a billion ducklings (my chickens have Mareks, I can't hatch those anymore :()

I love this!

Hey everyone! Long time no see! Merry Christmas! I hope Santa was good to everyone.

I got my first duck egg EVER today! So excited, it was in a nest box too (I have two ground level nest boxes for the ducks).

1f60f.png

Congrats! Sounds like a great year for you. Love those nails too!

Finally got an egg yesterday!!!! Not sure which one, but I am happy!

The first egg is always the best!

It's a miracle! My one Rhodebar pullet is finally starting to sleep in the coop with the other girls! Yay! I don't have to pull her out of the arborvitae every night. :lol:

Also, I think the warm weather is confusing. My bantam Cochin went broody. So of course I will be obtaining some eggs for her. Hope is stays mild enough for her to hatch them out safely. :D

Just had a great hatch - 11 Reese line Legbars (at least 7 pullets, still waiting for the last one to dry) and 8 Midget White turkey poults.

I'm gonna try to sell the poults on Craigslist, and some of the Legbars too. Anyone want to get an early start on the year with these?
Last spring I hatched a few Midget White turkeys and the hens started laying at almost exactly 6 months of age, just about like a good chicken. And they have not stopped since. There are 8 hens in that pen but I think only the 6 younger ones are laying, but I have gotten 1 to 3 eggs pretty much every single day since August. If there was a market for turkey eggs at a premium price, I think a flock of these could make money, or at least break even. Maybe just break even, given how much they eat.

Turkeys make the best pets of any poultry I've ever had. They are naturally tame and affectionate, though a bit dim-witted compared to (most) chickens. If you're close to Pottstown and want to try a few, PM me. I'll make you a good deal to start your addiction (I feel like a drug dealer, "turning on" people to turkeys as pets).

In other (but related) news, I found the very first pullet eggs from the California Greys yesterday. They are exactly 5 months old, I was not expecting any eggs until late next month. Maybe this one is an early bloomer, but I'm hoping they all come into lay early. I'm putting a lot of faith in these as good production birds to make this year's blue egg laying black sexlinks. The ones I grew out from last year's cross with Barred Hollands are laying great now. I feel like I'm "messing with perfection", but from what I know of these Cali Greys I think their chicks will be even better. The sire is a Wheaten Ameraucana from Larkrise (Peachick's line, known for very blue eggs) or else a Silkied Lavender Am that shares that pen (my money is on the Wheatens, they seem to be getting most of the action in there).

Back
Top Bottom