Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I usually leave the bands on for at least a month, so you won't have any problem for a few weeks. Just inspect the bands every week or so and if it seems really tight, take it off. I have some larger bands I can give you to replace them as they grow. Rhodebars and Bielefelder pullets look very different as adults, and even more different from the Legbars. The bigger issue for you will be telling the Legbars apart. Some of the non-Reese Legbars can look a lot like the Reese line, and I expect the ones I'm hatching to be even more so (that is my hope) since their daddy is Reese. I think you will eventually see some differences in appearance, but I can't predict when.
Thank you! I plan to spend some time with them everyday, so hopefully I can tell the difference in a couple weeks.

I'm so excited now. Only one and a half month to go!
celebrate.gif

(modified to correct typo.)

Last edited:
Aurora, what is happening with the hen? Did she make it?

Sorry to hear the poor girl suffering. In my understanding, 5 is a old age for hens. There is not too much you can help. Just keep her comfortable and hope her will get better.

Penny is still with us. She's still has no desire to eat or more and is just sleeping a lot. I brought her back out to the living room chair to be around us. The poor girl looks so miserable :/

So sorry Aurora :hugs: ... Have you considered humanely euthanizing her?

Just thought id share a pic of my rooster, he had lost his tail feathers now is regrowing white tail feathers

Pretty!

Pretty!

I have thought of it, I'm just not at that point yet. She's willingly drinking water but won't eat and seems a bit more alert now but still very weak. She melts my heart when I sit down next to her and she manages to push herself up against me to be held :(

I have thought of it, I'm just not at that point yet. She's willingly drinking water but won't eat and seems a bit more alert now but still very weak. She melts my heart when I sit down next to her and she manages to push herself up against me to be held :(

If she is willing to drink I would add some vitamin boost to the water and a light brown sugar...

Pretty!

That's so sad :( It really stinks when they pass or are not doing well.

Penny seems to be feeling a little better today. She's started to eat some and is still drinking a good bit of water. She's still waddling wierd when she actualy moves. I'm going to soak her in some warm water today to see if I can ease her discomfort. When she does move, she's very penguin like. We've had her since last summer and never once got an egg from her but we didn't expect any with her age. Is it possible that she could be egg bound? Would that seem to come up suddenly?

Penny seems to be feeling a little better today. She's started to eat some and is still drinking a good bit of water. She's still waddling wierd when she actualy moves. I'm going to soak her in some warm water today to see if I can ease her discomfort. When she does move, she's very penguin like. We've had her since last summer and never once got an egg from her but we didn't expect any with her age. Is it possible that she could be egg bound? Would that seem to come up suddenly?

Their reproduction can be irregular as they get older, so it is always possible that she is still producing a rare egg, it could be stuck or may have been laid internally...it could also be a reproductive tumor which has grown in size and is causing her problems now.

Back
Top Bottom