Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Good morning all!
Yesterday was 'paddock clean up and rehab day'.... we put fine gravel in the paddock 3 or 4 years ago, it has packed in over time and accumulated poo and decayed leaves etc. I rake it every few months to remove dropped feathers, leaves and other debris but eventually it needs a more intense maintenance. So yesterday I raked it, spread lime and hosed it in and then DH and I put fresh gravel in (about 1.5 inches deep) and raked it out smooth. We also put in a new dusting pit we made from an old tractor tire we cut in half.
Chickens will probably be upset we messed up a couple of the pits they had dug but we are happy it will be drier and cleaner for them.

Today I am at work to pay bills instead of working to keep the chickens happy, lol.

The coop is done!!!!!

We were really running out of time and money so we made sort of a summer coop. we are going to work on enclosing it before winter. Also, we don't need nesting boxes until this fall.

We put a small shelter inside the coop with a tin roof for when we have thunder storms or hot sun. I think the small shelter will be perfect when we get more chicks in the future, we can partition it off and use it as a brooder within the coop.

It is 8x12 and we have 11 chickens in it. We will be culling all but 1 rooster as soon as we figure out who all are roosters.

The floor is a platform of sorts made out of pallets, some lumber and thin plywood. we painted it with a waterproof paint to help keep the floor from rotting. We used bird netting over the roof joists until we can put in a roof and fencing along all the walls except 1. right now it has a window which is an old skylight. We have a second one to put in this fall when we enclose it.

I like it I can't wait until I start building the new coop hopfully we get started on it soon it should be 8x10 minimum we'll see what we come up with but I don't want nothing smaller than I want because then I am just going to have to rebuild if they outgrow it again. How much money do u have into only for the stuff you bought new? And how many sheets of plywood did you have to buy roof and floor? Thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom