Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hens stolen by raccoon. Please email if you have or know of source to get new hens. I am already aware of Pickering Valley Feed. Thanks.
I'm in northern Chester Co, just south of Pottstown. I still have lots of chicks as well as some older ones that no longer need to be brooded. The best selection is with the young ones, I can even hatch "to order" if you want something I'm not currently hatching but still have breeding pens for. My website is http://4chicky.myfreesites.net - that shows all the breeds I have for sale. My chicks are also at Pughtown Agway, if you are ever in that area.

Ok not a good evening yesterday with the new girls, tried to ontroduce them to their new flock i know i tried to fast, lesson learned. Opened the run to fill the water and one of the new easter eggers got out, man they are quick, she never came homr last night i think she roosted in the briars on the edge of the property. Question How do i get her to come back to the coop if she survived the night? Tried catching her i am no whete near that quick but i am sure the neighbors got a good show.

Ok not a good evening yesterday with the new girls, tried to ontroduce them to their new flock i know i tried to fast, lesson learned. Opened the run to fill the water and one of the new easter eggers got out, man they are quick, she never came homr last night i think she roosted in the briars on the edge of the property. Question How do i get her to come back to the coop if she survived the night? Tried catching her i am no whete near that quick but i am sure the neighbors got a good show.
If you can't catch her, she's not coming back on her own. She got thrown into a new place where she was not welcome, but persecuted. Any fate seems like a better one than returning to that. She's truly free-range now and not looking back . . .

I don't like her odds for survival unless you can catch her. The best plan is to find her at dusk and come back to grab her after dark.

If you can't catch her, she's not coming back on her own. She got thrown into a new place where she was not welcome, but persecuted. Any fate seems like a better one than returning to that. She's truly free-range now and not looking back . . .

I don't like her odds for survival unless you can catch her. The best plan is to find her at dusk and come back to grab her after dark.
thank Dheltzel...that os,what i was,worried about i took the other two back out of the main run and put them in a,holding pen beside the main run if i can catch her that is where she will go. The hens i had were not picking on her at all put the other two they were. Thanks for the reply.not sure i can get to here on here woods roost it is in the middle of a thick briar patch. I saw her roost last night.

Last edited:

She still needs food and water, provide a source for both in an area where she can be 'boxed in' and be prepared with a fishing net to catch her, you can use her other 2 flock mates as bait, they do tend to be social critters and she will be more likely to stay in an area where she can see them.

If you have access to a 10x10 dog kennel I would set it up near the other 2 birds and use treats left inside to act as bait, close the door after she is inside. You will need to cover the top of it with netting to prevent her from flying out though.

thank Dheltzel...that os,what i was,worried about i took the other two back out of the main run and put them in a,holding pen beside the main run if i can catch her that is where she will go. The hens i had were not picking on her at all put the other two they were. Thanks for the reply.not sure i can get to here on here woods roost it is in the middle of a thick briar patch. I saw her roost last night.

Put on heavy clothes and do whatever needs done.... I would rather deal with some irritating scratches than have an animal I am responsible for get taken by predators or some similar sad fate.

Put on heavy clothes and do whatever needs done.... I would rather deal with some irritating scratches than have an animal I am responsible for get taken by predators or some similar sad fate.
lady thanks ......that,is,the plan for this,evening to try and get in there and get her. If i cant lure her out. I tried last night but i could not see her anywhere roosted i heard go up but could not see her. She came out in the yard twice after her jail break.

Has anyone here been to Gifford Pinchot state park it's near York county? What's your opinion on it? And has anyone been to memorial lake state park it's near Hershey. What's your opinion on that place? We usually go to raystown since it's only like 30 minutes from where we live and plus we could live there it's so nice and peace full. And then we also like cowans gap state park, and there is canoe creek state park we like the swimming area there. But we have went to colyers lake and it's so small I should be called colyers pond. But I am used to going to raystown but I just found this out that raystown is the largest lake in pa and there is four bridges under the water along with the old dam and a village and a few houses and a mansion the mansion it says was the person of who built the dam but idk and it says it was a 41 million dollar build. Who knew? B anyways let me know your opinions on those places cause I would liek to go somewhere new here last year we went to Howard lake but it want much of anything it is a big lake but there isn't much of anything ranging of camping and the swimming area is so crowded you can't do anything.

Haven't been to Pinch it for about 30 years, so not sure what they have now. It was nice, but not exciting, as I recall. I believe a few years ago they water quality issues from all the wildlife. I believe they do not allow power boats there, just canoes and maybe small sailboats. Maybe electric motors, not sure.

It's in northern York county. It's been many years, though.

lady thanks ......that,is,the plan for this,evening to try and get in there and get her. If i cant lure her out. I tried last night but i could not see her anywhere roosted i heard go up but could not see her. She came out in the yard twice after her jail break.

Sounds like a plan...

You could use 3 or 4 ft chicken wire to create a 'funnel fence'....with goodies leading into it and a large goodie such as a bowl of scrambled eggs or chunks of watermelon at the narrow end....also at the narrow end should be a dog kennel or similar cage with her buddies in it. Use the door side of the dog cage to hold up the fence and create the back end of the funnel.
After she goes into it you can then block off the mouth of the funnel then slide a hand in and open the cage door to allow her and her friends to go in and out of the cage....then slip in another treat in the back of the dog cage to get them all back into it and close the door behind them when they are aeting the treat.

Back
Top Bottom