Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Sometimes I feel like I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Came home this morning to a broken latch??? Seriously what could have broken the screw heads off. The fence keeps the chickens in but an animal can easily just jump over. The coop is secure so no problem there. No tracks to be seen.
Then I open the coop to find my blue Wyandotte dangling my a foot caught on the roost bars. She is obviously hurt but not bleeding or anything. I got her down and she just flopped on her side. I tried to give her water and food in case it was a long time but she wouldn't take either. I finally got a couple drops of vitamins in her/him and brought her inside to warmth in her old brooder wrapped in a towel. This chickening is hard stuff. Idk what to do. Wait I suppose
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Sometimes I feel like I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Came home this morning to a broken latch??? Seriously what could have broken the screw heads off. The fence keeps the chickens in but an animal can easily just jump over. The coop is secure so no problem there. No tracks to be seen.
Then I open the coop to find my blue Wyandotte dangling my a foot caught on the roost bars. She is obviously hurt but not bleeding or anything. I got her down and she just flopped on her side. I tried to give her water and food in case it was a long time but she wouldn't take either. I finally got a couple drops of vitamins in her/him and brought her inside to warmth in her old brooder wrapped in a towel. This chickening is hard stuff. Idk what to do. Wait I suppose
[/IMG]

That's terrible, wish I had an idea for you. Maybe a dog or something large like that? Best wishes for your Wyandotte. Is she bleeding? OR was she just hanging for a while?

GM all:

Setting some eggs today....think I'm a bit late for a Christmas hatch though......

Awesome! Do you have to work today or can you put them right in the bator?

@Auroradream26, How is Mira? Has she made a full recovery?

That's terrible, wish I had an idea for you. Maybe a dog or something large like that? Best wishes for your Wyandotte. Is she bleeding? OR was she just hanging for a while?

She was just hanging. I don't know if the leg is broken or she is just not bearing weight. It's like everyday I'm just holding my breath to find if everyone survived another day.

Last edited:
[/IMG]

awe, I'm sorry to hear about your hen but don't give up on her. I had this happen to one of my turkey hens a few months ago when she was only half grown. I opened their coop door one morning to find her dangling upside down from their swing. Her leg was swollen and she couldn't put any weight on it. She spent about a week inside and was still limping a little when she went back out but she's made a full recovery. I recommend not wrapping her up in the towel because she may struggle to get out of it and hurt herself more. It may take her a day or so to recover from the shock of the situation too so don't be too worried about her not eating at the moment. Good luck!

Queenie, in recovery

Thanks for asking! Mira has made a full recovery :) She does have a big bald spot around her head and I'm not sure if feathers will ever grow back there or not and she about half the size she should be but she's happy, healthy, energetic, and friendly :)

Anne:

I set them out for a couple of hours (air cell up).....to come up to room temp then in the bater....(off today).....

Auro:

Sad to hear....this happens more often than you think....he'll probably be replaced with a H1B.....

Thanks for asking! Mira has made a full recovery :) She does have a big bald spot around her head and I'm not sure if feathers will ever grow back there or not and she about half the size she should be but she's happy, healthy, energetic, and friendly :)

You obviously took great care of her! :thumbsup How old is she now?

Back
Top Bottom