Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hi from a Detroiter visiting Breinigsville! I was missing my chickens, khaki ducks, and chocolate muscovies and the Michigan thread was very quiet, so I figured I'd pop over here and see what people are up to in the neck of the woods I'm currently stuck in. I might come and hang out on this thread more often as my family comes down to visit the in-laws two or three times a year. I also popped by Craigslist to see what people are breeding and selling around here. Wow, it was refreshing. Not an extra Greenfire Marans or Legbar cockerel in sight-a pretty stark reminder that the rural area around Detroit is gentleman farmsville (not that there's anything wrong with cream crested legbars, silkies, or marans). Wish I had extra room in the car for a tested nigerian doeling goat or two. Prices are up the wall expensive back home, and decorative breeds/lines reign supreme unless you head up north. Regardless, it's really nice to read the chicken chit-chat. I miss my birdies, especially with all the work I did with the birds to get ready for this week-long vacation away from them-coop work, shoveling, finishing wormings, a massive drake cull all by myself (I did five in one day and I'm very proud of it-new plucking record for me), stockpiling feed for the sitter...Oh man I miss my birds. This year I gave up marans because I got sick of hatching mystery dark eggs and untameable hens, pullets, and cockerels and got this cute little guy. This is him (blinking, sorry) about three months ago before the weather turned cold, hanging out with the duckies before he got bigger and "rose to power" in the coop. I recently aquired a 18 month old red, black and a couple of lavender orpington hens, so it looks like this is going to be the year of the orpingtons/english orpington crosses. They're already a lot more friendly than my crabby marans hens that would bite me when I'd go and mess with the birds in the dark (meanies). We'll see. Wow, looking at this picture makes me realize just how much Mr. As-of-yet-nameless-cockerel has grown. He's a huge orange striped puffball now, which I admit, looks funny when he tries to act all roostery and all-not usually what I go for in a cockerel. At least he's mild-mannered and good with kids, and he's growing on me, I admit. Anyway, hi out there! Here are some pictures of things on our wooded, almost urban acre. And here's the chair that between the toddler cryptonians and the poultry/waterfowl I never get time to sit in. :) Not that I'd want to sit still that long. HURRY UP SPRING SO I CAN SIT STILL EVEN LESS!!!
Welcome! We always have room for another chicken person in here ;)

My new years hatch is over a little early. I think the power outage we had the other day is responsible for killing 2 of my eggs that were in lockdown. I still managed to get 4 new babies though. 2 silkies and 2 show girls :)

Here are the show girls, all fluffed up

Back
Top Bottom