Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

They both look like females to me. Legbars are not always as obvious at hatch as the other autosexing breeds, but in about a week you  will see dramatically more white on the feathers of any males. This "trick" works for black barred birds as well, Barred Rocks, California Greys, Black Sexlinks, Cuckoo Marans.

Thank you! That would be a blessing after such a stressful hatch!
Once the Brinsea gets replaced I would love lavender bantams or eggs

Last edited:
Darn, what part of the state are you located in?

I am around the "S" in StateCollege.

5 babies hatched! I assisted 4 and 1 hatched by itself after finally getting the new incubator up to temp. 1 white Ameraucana, 1 lavender Ameraucana, 2 CCLB and 1 hopefully sizzle from my fizzle Cochin roo and buff silkie. Anyone with CCLB know if they are 1 boy and 1 girl? I think I see a white head spot but it is still chipmunk.

:celebrate

I copied this from Ur-ur-ur-urrr. I figured it would be appreciated info here.

Here's a quick, easy, and inexpensive water container that's ideal for use inside of a brooder or coop. The water stays clean so it doesn't need to be changed daily, and there's virtually no waste or spatter, so bedding stays dry. This procedure can be used on larger or smaller containers. While I haven't attempted metal, they work great on most any plastic containers... as long as it's thick enough to provide a good seal on the threads. 

I previously had a Sterilite 2-quart pitcher in my brooder, but with a large number of chicks, it requires refilling every day. I bought a 1-gallon pitcher from a dollar store to make a new one with the extra horizontal poultry nipples I got from Amazon. Start by drilling 1/4" holes in three places (or how many you want) near the bottom of the pitcher, swap to a 3/8" bit to get the final size hole. Drilling a smaller hole and changing to a larger bit helps keep the plastic cooler so there's less melting and balling up of the plastic. Once the 3/8" holes are drilled, I trim off any burrs that remain, and give the holes a slight bevel since the nipple threads are tapered. Making sure the nipples are not going in at an angle, screw them in until they're almost flush with the pitcher. You don't want to screw them all the way down, or you run the risk of stripping out the hole! Once the nipples are installed, it's time to leak-test them. I've made several of these, and have yet to have one leak. 

Last edited:
I copied this from Ur-ur-ur-urrr. I figured it would be appreciated info here.

Here's a quick, easy, and inexpensive water container that's ideal for use inside of a brooder or coop. The water stays clean so it doesn't need to be changed daily, and there's virtually no waste or spatter, so bedding stays dry. This procedure can be used on larger or smaller containers. While I haven't attempted metal, they work great on most any plastic containers... as long as it's thick enough to provide a good seal on the threads. 

I previously had a Sterilite 2-quart pitcher in my brooder, but with a large number of chicks, it requires refilling every day. I bought a 1-gallon pitcher from a dollar store to make a new one with the extra horizontal poultry nipples I got from Amazon. Start by drilling 1/4" holes in three places (or how many you want) near the bottom of the pitcher, swap to a 3/8" bit to get the final size hole. Drilling a smaller hole and changing to a larger bit helps keep the plastic cooler so there's less melting and balling up of the plastic. Once the 3/8" holes are drilled, I trim off any burrs that remain, and give the holes a slight bevel since the nipple threads are tapered. Making sure the nipples are not going in at an angle, screw them in until they're almost flush with the pitcher. You don't want to screw them all the way down, or you run the risk of stripping out the hole! Once the nipples are installed, it's time to leak-test them. I've made several of these, and have yet to have one leak. 

That's awesome, do you have a link for the nipples on amazon? Nevermind! Found them, ordered! :lol:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom