Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

He is! We have kind of been hanging on because he is a beloved pain in the ass...but he just hasn't been the same since our hen got taken. And our kids haven't been able to go near him for a couple weeks now.

We are in Montgomery County but willing to order/travel for a good deal!

How's the Roo? Still a pain? I'm going to try to get my scalder fixed this week, but I could still heat up some water on the stove for just one bird.

Organic is always going to be very costly. What county are you in?

Any idea why my rooster stopped crowing? He had a few days last week where he just seemed off. Not quite ill, just off. But he either hasn't crowed since or we are just too dang used to it now. But I have been trying to listen for it and have not heard him. Weird thing to complain about.

I hate how I don't always get alerts anymore. Thanks for the egg offers! I just saw them and think I have some coming already. Although she keeps hoping to whatever nesting box has more eggs right now!
So we got two more cows. That makes 4 and our limit!
20170904_170443.jpg

I have an old English Bantam thats not even 7 months old brooding. And 8 of my super mom's 12 babies are frizzled! Had 23 BR roosters I was worried about selling and they ended up going less then 12 hrs after I put tbe ad up. By tomorrow morning I'll have 20 baby Muscovy!
20170901_164524.jpg

And craft season is starting and my first show is next weekend. Totally not ready! To much going on.

Hello all!

I've been busy & lurking for awhile… Happy for the good stuff that's been going on, sorry to hear of the many losses, especially the loss of Stake…

Long post, pictures ahead...

The chicks I bought in the Spring are now 6 months old and definitively a pullet (Pumpkin - GLW) & cockerel (Oreo - Blue/Black Ameraucana). Their integration to my mini flock was difficult, but now they are all good, with the exception of my hens still not allowing the 2 “teens” into the main coop at night. :/ I was trying to not get too attached to Oreo because of rooster stories I've read, and was unsure of whether or not we'd keep him… I decided I'd wait to hear his crow and see his behavior (although I guess that could still change). His crow is nice, usually in the morning (I often hear him around 10:30 daily), or when strangers are around or if someone is yelling - so he's like our security dog but a chicken! He's very tame, and watches over his ladies very well, I love hearing all the different little alerts/noises he makes. So obviously we're keeping him. :)

20170722_134359.jpg

My little GLW pullet Pumpkin is now the size of my 1 year old NHR, Pepper :O I am waiting on her first egg, but I don't think I'll see it until I get them moved into their new coop. :)

20170629_130019-1.jpg

I decided to bite the bullet and will be converting this 8x8 for more space and shelter and of course, chicken math! My fiance and his family (not even ME!) have already suggested we get more chickens, to sell eggs. “Just get 6 more hens so we have 10 total, plus the rooster and we'll be good!” :lol: The shed-coop is installed next to the current run and will be a work in progress. So I'll most likely be lurking in the Coop & Run forum for quite some time because I am NOT a builder! (Still trying to figure out how the heck to get a roof on the run… attach the shed to the run… SO many questions lol)

This summer I had my first run-in with bumblefoot (3 total), freak eggs, no eggs, worms and mites (both discovered after a week long irritating phone-tag and experience with a different vet :mad:). Which made me feel just awful. Got the ladies lightly operated on (so many thanks to my lovely nurse-SIL), medicated and sprayed down so hopefully all starts to balance out!

IMG_20170818_153840.jpg

I hope everyone is doing well, and is safe from the storm last night. We had had a large branch fall nearby (not terribly close, but close enough) the coop, I actually yelped. All the more reason to get the ladies & gent into a new space. ...and possibly seek out an arborist! :oops:

Hello all!

I've been busy & lurking for awhile… Happy for the good stuff that's been going on, sorry to hear of the many losses, especially the loss of Stake…

Long post, pictures ahead...

The chicks I bought in the Spring are now 6 months old and definitively a pullet (Pumpkin - GLW) & cockerel (Oreo - Blue/Black Ameraucana). Their integration to my mini flock was difficult, but now they are all good, with the exception of my hens still not allowing the 2 “teens” into the main coop at night. :/ I was trying to not get too attached to Oreo because of rooster stories I've read, and was unsure of whether or not we'd keep him… I decided I'd wait to hear his crow and see his behavior (although I guess that could still change). His crow is nice, usually in the morning (I often hear him around 10:30 daily), or when strangers are around or if someone is yelling - so he's like our security dog but a chicken! He's very tame, and watches over his ladies very well, I love hearing all the different little alerts/noises he makes. So obviously we're keeping him. :)

View attachment 1129918

My little GLW pullet Pumpkin is now the size of my 1 year old NHR, Pepper :O I am waiting on her first egg, but I don't think I'll see it until I get them moved into their new coop. :)

View attachment 1129923
I decided to bite the bullet and will be converting this 8x8 for more space and shelter and of course, chicken math! My fiance and his family (not even ME!) have already suggested we get more chickens, to sell eggs. “Just get 6 more hens so we have 10 total, plus the rooster and we'll be good!” :lol: The shed-coop is installed next to the current run and will be a work in progress. So I'll most likely be lurking in the Coop & Run forum for quite some time because I am NOT a builder! (Still trying to figure out how the heck to get a roof on the run… attach the shed to the run… SO many questions lol)

This summer I had my first run-in with bumblefoot (3 total), freak eggs, no eggs, worms and mites (both discovered after a week long irritating phone-tag and experience with a different vet :mad:). Which made me feel just awful. Got the ladies lightly operated on (so many thanks to my lovely nurse-SIL), medicated and sprayed down so hopefully all starts to balance out!

View attachment 1129924

I hope everyone is doing well, and is safe from the storm last night. We had had a large branch fall nearby (not terribly close, but close enough) the coop, I actually yelped. All the more reason to get the ladies & gent into a new space. ...and possibly seek out an arborist! :oops:

Wow what a beautiful view from your place. Lovely looking chickens too.
Someone posted 4 free Buff Orpingtons on craigslist today:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/zip/6294128754.html

Hi @dheltzel,

Do you order the Sandhill "Autumn Specials"?

"AUTUMN SPECIALS This is our season end specials of whatever is still laying and hatching. We start shipping as birds become available in September and have hatches through October. The order for these may be placed at any time, but the final cutoff date for orders to be received in our office is September 10, 2017. The shipping dates this year for the Autumn Specials are September 5 and 19, and October 3 and 17. These will be filled on a first come, first served basis and when we run out of birds, we run out. We will NOT CALL to let you know you are not getting birds, but will return your check at the end of the season."

Sounds like an exciting gamble that I will never be in a position to order.

Back
Top Bottom