Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

If he made it back under his own power I think he deserves a day or 2 of TLC before deciding. Bruising around the neck would be very restrictive and uncomfortable.
I would give time a quiet cage in a warmer than outside area but not main house warm...maybe a basement or garage? And give him soft foods which are easy to swallow but not prone to being clumpy or pasty. A few drops of vitamins would be good in his water also.
He will show his mettle in a day or two as the initial shock passes and if no improvement you can euthanize him then if a downturn or failure to improve.

Thanks, unfortunately, the care for him will be limited. He seems comfy enough in a nesting box. He was found on the other side of the house, and was carried back to the coop. I think he will make it, but I wanted to run it by the experts here. We put a food dish of crumbles in front of him, so he is able to eat.

Central PA here! (Mill Hall)

Welcome to BYC!

If you had a coop three times the size, I could tell you how to hide them. As it is, you might decide to sell the chicks, and refuse the hens. Though I’d choose hens over chicks. No waiting for eggs! :celebrate

Yes, you need to make a descision... and I don't think you have the space to keep more than the dozen you were supposed to stay with anyway. A 32 square foot coop is adequate for 8-15 max, based on the commonly recommended 2 to 4 sq ft per bird... overcrowding will cause problems in the long run.
Decide what direction you want to go with your birds, a particular egg color(s)? Meat? Yard candy? ...and go from there. Decide which birds you have that fit your needs, sell any which don't fit (chick or adult) and replace as you have room.
I might seem harsh, but in the best interest of flock happiness (room restriction) and respect for landlords wishes I think you need to put those issues first.

Well, the hens are older and the lady says they don't lay. Which I don't believe because she has near 100 birds in poor health and how would she know who is laying anyway. We rescued 4 from her last year and they did SO much better here. (I hope she won't find this thread and my comments...)

On the other side, I love the baby chicks (of course) and I don't want to sell them after all this. I just want to give them all a good home. They have that here, free ranging, clean coop, lots of love.

I love how our coop is designed. They have the 4x8 space to walk around. Up higher is a poop board with the perches above and they all fit up there. The add on was for nesting boxes and the top one is additional perching space. The coop is only for them at night time, and they are out to free range sun up to sun down.

I was debating if it'd be worth it to get a rent-to-own shed, 8x8, then keep all birds, but the problem would then be the landlords. I was thinking of taking turns releasing 12 birds at a time to free-range, but it's not fair for them to be locked up half the time.

I don't know what to do. I have to choose between 6 chicks to raise, or 4 old hens from the neighbor. I just love all of them, and I've never sold a chicken before and it's just not something I could do.

bill had a pot belly for 14 years and we lost her a couple of winters ago, this one is mine altho i was afraid of pigs but wilbur was just 3lbs4oz when i got him and to him i'm his person and he helps with the heart ache of losing my chickens.but time marches on and when we can no longer make the drive down here i'll have my chickens again:D

Thanks! I have two young boys, and I'm looking at the Orpingtons because of what I have read of their excellent temperament. I'm hoping for eggs and pets. :) Will read about Ameraucanas. I'm new and learning.
Ameracaunas are amazing. They have great personalities and are so freaking cute and beautiful. They also work really well for show birds for 4h if the kids get interested. They can be kinda whacky but that's just like any other bird. They aren't as huge as orpingtons though so if the kids get intimidated by a huge bird these guys would be a good option. They also come in a ton of color varieties. Just do not get them from your feed mill or a hatchery because most of their birds are Easter eggers not true Ameracaunas. @dheltzel has true Ams, I'm starting up with them and so is @LeBlackbird

Thanks! I have two young boys, and I'm looking at the Orpingtons because of what I have read of their excellent temperament. I'm hoping for eggs and pets. :) Will read about Ameraucanas. I'm new and learning.
I've never had Orps, so I'm sure our resident "Orp expert" will dispute this -- but I believe Ameraucanas are even better pets. And so are Cream Legbars, with the main difference being color and the fact that Legbars are easily sexable anytime, Lavender anything, never sexable by color.
All my Ameraucana breeders are amazing birds. I love how calm they are and how eager to come to me, though I made no special effort to tame them. The sexing is the only thing that moves them out of first place for backyard pets, and puts the Legbars, Welbars and Olive Eggers in that place.

Hey guys, asking this for my cousin. She had a fox attack the other day, and her Roo showed up that night, but in poor shape. The poor guy does not seem to lift his head much at all. He was clearly grabbed at the neck, and probably shaken around. He only seems to have a couple of puncture wounds on his neck. Do you guys think he will make it, or should he be euthanized? We do not believe his neck is broken, just badly bruised. Sorry for the graphic pictures, hope no one was eating!

*Edited to add, he did want to eat, when we put a small dish down on the floor for him.

View attachment 1300437

View attachment 1300438

View attachment 1300439

View attachment 1300440

I agree with @fisherlady on the TLC. Adding some vitamins/electrolytes to his water will help too. He's going to be very sore for a little while.

Central PA here! (Mill Hall)

Welcome, from Cambria county!

In my very limited experience, the Legbars are most people friendly birds. Molly used to ride on my shoulder when we walking around backyard. Every time I stretched my arm, and she would fly and land on my arm, then walk to my shoulder. The blue-egg sexlink pullet just loves kids. She's half ameraucana half california grey. They are the best pet chickens for backyard. I also love Bielefelders calm personality.

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting to sell my NY house before we can buy one at local. I'm hoping I could be ready before Dennis stopping hatching this year.

Back
Top Bottom