Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I have 20 chickens 2 are roosters. So I thought I should be getting 18 eggs but I'm only getting 14-16 eggs a day. They are peeps from last year. Why am I not getting 18? I got 18 from tractor supply and 2 were hatched out they are mix breed. 4 hens and 2 roosters are Australorp. the others brown egg layers is what the sign said.

I'm having a great hatch of the Australian Spotted ducks this week. About 18 are out so far. I can see I am about to be overrun with ducklings. Who here is interested in breeding them? My first priority is to get them into the hands of other local breeders, so as to get them establish in the area . . . @LeBlackbird @fangedknight

Sounds like you are doing well with them! I think I will be ready for some in about a month or so. I’m sure you will have plenty then. Just keep me posted please! :D

We're they hatchery or specific breeder eggs? That is a breed I am very interested in, will be interested to see how yours grow out and how they are for personality.
Their cuteness is always a plus too.

Breeder, she sent me pictures, her flock looks solid quality. I'll be interested to see how they grow out too. Will post the pictures she sent me and a couple pics of the babies later, my phone won't upload pictures to the site

I have 20 chickens 2 are roosters. So I thought I should be getting 18 eggs but I'm only getting 14-16 eggs a day. They are peeps from last year. Why am I not getting 18? I got 18 from tractor supply and 2 were hatched out they are mix breed. 4 hens and 2 roosters are Australorp. the others brown egg layers is what the sign said.

Every hen will not lay every day, no matter how inflated the hatcheries advertise them. In fact, many hens lay only lay 4-5 eggs per week during their peak laying periods (good lighting, not molting, etc.)
Research the breeds you have and try to find a realistic # to expect. At this time of year I wouldn't expect more than 14-16 eggs a day from 18 hens out of anything other than prime age egger breeds.

Alright, here's the babies, plus some rogue ameraucanas
30174281_1793193954076252_1547800999_o.jpg
30126331_1793193774076270_1860975423_o.jpg

and here's the pictures she sent me of her stock
30126068_1793194317409549_1954301105_o.jpg

30118789_1793194264076221_1174003645_n.jpg

30180199_1793194314076216_721667386_n.jpg

Possibly, when I get over there to pick up birds I'll take a look. I swore to myself I wouldn't do waterfowl this year because of all the projects I had going on but how bad could some bantam ducks be? :lol:

Not to be an enabler, but... The Bantam ducks are RIDICULOUSLY adorable! :oops:

I made a special road trip today with my fiancée to meet @dheltzel and pick up some new peeps. We were both unsure of what to expect but we're blown away by his operation! It's like being a kid in a candy store! :bow And by the way, my fiancée was extremely bummed I didn't tell him about the lavender ameraucanas, he nearly turned around to go back to pick one up! :lol: I said we already got 1 more than originally planned, but maybe next time...

Here's the newbies:
20180407_183201.jpg

20180407_182529.jpg

Thank you again Dennis! :jumpy

@LeBlackbird
They look good, I am interested in their heritage and size qualities, hubby likes the fluffy faces, lol.
They don't get too big, the boys top out around 8 pounds usually, only a little over a pound bigger than an Ameraucana. They usually look heavy and squat because they have very loose feathering. I love bearded breeds, almost every breed I'm working with this year is bearded! lol!

I made a special road trip today with my fiancée to meet @dheltzel and pick up some new peeps. We were both unsure of what to expect but we're blown away by his operation! It's like being a kid in a candy store! :bow And by the way, my fiancée was extremely bummed I didn't tell him about the lavender ameraucanas, he nearly turned around to go back to pick one up! :lol: I said we already got 1 more than originally planned, but maybe next time...

Here's the newbies:
View attachment 1328895

View attachment 1328896

I would love to see Dennis' setup. The numbers he hatches or raises always shocks me. I cannot imagine having more than 20 chickens at one time!

Here's the newbies:
View attachment 1328895

View attachment 1328896

They look very happy there.
I'm trying to figure out how to tame ducklings. I have my week old ones nibbling on my fingers when I slowly put my hand in there. There are only 8 of those, there are 18 of the newly hatched ones to tame. I need more hours in the day.

Back
Top Bottom