Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

oh my, that is so sad. You were there for her, giving her comfort. That is more than most birds get for sure!
Everyone has to start where they can, and if that means a bit more work, well then so be it. It is the enjoyment of the journey. The adventure of it all!
I try to remind myself of that mid way through projects when the work seems to be never ending, the body has been overloaded, and we start to question our sanity:p
I really do hope you get fortunate with your goose eggs, that would be great.
I hear they can be very "dog-like" in their personalities, follow you around & they make great yard security.
We have definitely convinced ourselves that pullets will be the best way to go this year. Because of sending the majority to freezer camp.
We will have less "egg-wait" time. Will still find a little someone for Cordon to care for, she is a very good mamma.
We have a great Wyandotte breeder 'close', hour- hour & half, ( state college), but
Would like to see about some Orpingtons , DH thinks they would be fun to watch do their thing in the yard. We do enjoy the fluffy butts.:D
*I would REALLY like to add some colored eggs to the carton.

Yep, it is more than most birds get, and I'm just glad she was inside and comfortable when it happened. It sucks but we can always get more birds. Believe me I am just watching these little babies like a hawk and praying that this time Klaus is actually doing his job. Klaus I've had since he was a day or two old (got him from the feed mill, impulse buy, but the best impulse buy ever), and he does listen on occasion. I have mine in runs instead of free range because of predators, neighbors, and the fact that I don't want the township called because a chicken decided to go over a couple houses. (Yes some neighbors qualify as chicken predators).

We're still working out what projects we want to try and do this year, I know meaties are definitely happening. I know we've got a Wyandotte project in the works, and we're gonna be getting some more laying hens so we can start cranking out the eggs. And fluffy butts are the best butts, don't let anyone tell you otherwise :gig

Aww I'm so sorry for your lost and for the goose eggs :( Hopefully the next few eggs are fertile. I loved when my boys were goslings! They did our morning walk around with us every day (still do if they're out lol)

Very much so! Sunshine and Lollipop follow us all over the place but really won't venture from the yard. It's been basically claimed as their "territory". They're always right in the middle of anything we're doing. Especially Lollipop. He's "helped" us paint, clean a carborater (sp?), Pull up roots and sticks when we were digging out a stump. He even burned himself trying to help burn out the stump! I never said he was smart lol. They're true picnic sharks too lol

Thanks Aurora, I'm really REALLY hoping that they are fertile or at least start being/becoming?? (I'm not sure which word to use) fertile. Klaus is only two so he should be good to go, no problems there. :confused: I guess he's just not in the mood yet? Who knows. Last thing I wanna have to do is sit him down and have the talk with him, he should know about that by now after all the duck orgies he's seen :lau

00H0H_2iKKsEE0clh_600x450.jpg

I tried talking him into this this-morning, he was like :smack
I do love this breed , they look like shaggy dogs:D...with big noses...

OH MY GODS HE'S SO CUTE! I've wanted mini Highlands for a while, but I know I just don't have the land for them right yet and also things with hooves are a bit much for me (at least for now lol). Maybe eventually. He's so fluffy I can't! :love

ZOMG. Want. But, you've seen how small my yard is. If you get a mini one, can I borrow it to dress it up and take to the Clan events at the Highland Games? Please?
OMG!! YES YES YES!! hahaha:lau
That would be epic!

Oh, and Alice is a redhead. Squeeeee.
:yesss:.OH YEAH!!:bun:ya:jumpy:bun:celebrate:bow:love:woot:thumbsup
I was strawberry blonde, bordering on red as a little one.
Still have the extremely fair skin to prove it..hahaha,
along with you & a couple of others here that have seen the pale-faced farmette girl :highfive:

Yep, it is more than most birds get, and I'm just glad she was inside and comfortable when it happened. It sucks but we can always get more birds. Believe me I am just watching these little babies like a hawk and praying that this time Klaus is actually doing his job. Klaus I've had since he was a day or two old (got him from the feed mill, impulse buy, but the best impulse buy ever), and he does listen on occasion. I have mine in runs instead of free range because of predators, neighbors, and the fact that I don't want the township called because a chicken decided to go over a couple houses. (Yes some neighbors qualify as chicken predators).

We're still working out what projects we want to try and do this year, I know meaties are definitely happening. I know we've got a Wyandotte project in the works, and we're gonna be getting some more laying hens so we can start cranking out the eggs. And fluffy butts are the best butts, don't let anyone tell you otherwise :gig

"Oh My Gosh Becky, look at her butt!":bun
Sorry, couldn't help myself;)...
Just love watching those puffy feathered girls doing their thing around the yard.
We do have a lot of predators, animal & human also. The birds only walk the grounds while being supervised...have to say this, they respect the broom..hahaha, just a light shoosh and they are moving...HAhahaa
That is why we would like a few Orps this time around.
We've had the Wyandottes for awhile now, probably longer than most would have for egg production, but things come up & your focus gets change sometimes.

I would definitely recommend Wyandottes to anyone who is not in too much of a hurry. They do take a little longer than some to mature/lay eggs, but you get more in the long run. Plus they are a very nice sized bird, so the meat aspect is a bonus.
Oh yeah, and they are very winter hardy!! No issues with them in the minus temps. Good luck on your project, you'll keep us in the know??:D

The whole neighbor issue can really be a headache for some.
Sometimes, if the neighbors are more open to animals & the people around them...offering them eggs or even meat can smooth things a bit. Maybe help make them more accepting of the birds, even if they were to wonder a little farther than they should.
Before we even had birds here, we opened a dialogue with the people right beside us. Now, they have a ton of dogs, very large dogs..great danes & some others so they like animals, a plus for us.
We also started "sharing" in our garden/veggie harvests, canned & baked goods.
This really helped to make a more personable relationship. When we brought the birds home it was no big deal, they are very open to us doing whatever we deem necessary on our property.
They believe people should have the right to do what they would on their own.
I do realize we got very lucky having neighbors like this, but ..we still took the time to open up a positive conversation/dialogue & shared our extras.
I do totally understand about the neighbors that go out of their way just to be contentious...even if they aren't right beside you to be directly affected by what it is your doing.
There are people here like that, they are everywhere.
We just try to continue to treat those with respect , but keeping our stance & integrity in what we believe.
If it had/has to come down to us getting more involved in our local government to help keep the rights of property owners in their own hands, well, we would be/are committed to that as well.
Sometimes it just takes opening up our mouths, in a respectful way, & letting the people in the local governments know what it is we would like to have or change. Sometimes they just aren't aware of the needs of some of their residents.
Okay, now I have said wayyy too much. I am getting down from the soap box now.:oops:

Thanks Aurora, I'm really REALLY hoping that they are fertile or at least start being/becoming?? (I'm not sure which word to use) fertile. Klaus is only two so he should be good to go, no problems there. :confused: I guess he's just not in the mood yet? Who knows. Last thing I wanna have to do is sit him down and have the talk with him, he should know about that by now after all the duck orgies he's seen :lau

**Well now, don't tell me you haven't seen the fine print in the Animal Husbandry contract!
It specifically states that you are responsible for educating all your poultry to the "birds & Bees. A sit down might be in order, let us hope he just falls into line & copies the ducks..well not literally copies them, but , well, you know what I mean! :old
Go Klaus Go!:pop..was that wrong?...hahaha

OH MY GODS HE'S SO CUTE! I've wanted mini Highlands for a while, but I know I just don't have the land for them right yet and also things with hooves are a bit much for me (at least for now lol). Maybe eventually. He's so fluffy I can't! :love

***I am totally down for the mini cows/heifers/steers, anything that comes in a more to "me" size to handle. That helps explain having 3 Pomeranians!!
I am NOT a tall or even average individual..4'11..yep, that's it.:oops:
Found out about these bits of awesomeness for a cool lady @sharron .
I believe she actually had some minis, not sure if she still does.
She sent me the red raspberries that have made our berry bed super producers!:D

"Oh My Gosh Becky, look at her butt!":bun
Sorry, couldn't help myself;)...
Just love watching those puffy feathered girls doing their thing around the yard.
We do have a lot of predators, animal & human also. The birds only walk the grounds while being supervised...have to say this, they respect the broom..hahaha, just a light shoosh and they are moving...HAhahaa
That is why we would like a few Orps this time around.
We've had the Wyandottes for awhile now, probably longer than most would have for egg production, but things come up & your focus gets change sometimes.

I would definitely recommend Wyandottes to anyone who is not in too much of a hurry. They do take a little longer than some to mature/lay eggs, but you get more in the long run. Plus they are a very nice sized bird, so the meat aspect is a bonus.
Oh yeah, and they are very winter hardy!! No issues with them in the minus temps. Good luck on your project, you'll keep us in the know??:D

The whole neighbor issue can really be a headache for some.
Sometimes, if the neighbors are more open to animals & the people around them...offering them eggs or even meat can smooth things a bit. Maybe help make them more accepting of the birds, even if they were to wonder a little farther than they should.
Before we even had birds here, we opened a dialogue with the people right beside us. Now, they have a ton of dogs, very large dogs..great danes & some others so they like animals, a plus for us.
We also started "sharing" in our garden/veggie harvests, canned & baked goods.
This really helped to make a more personable relationship. When we brought the birds home it was no big deal, they are very open to us doing whatever we deem necessary on our property.
They believe people should have the right to do what they would on their own.
I do realize we got very lucky having neighbors like this, but ..we still took the time to open up a positive conversation/dialogue & shared our extras.
I do totally understand about the neighbors that go out of their way just to be contentious...even if they aren't right beside you to be directly affected by what it is your doing.
There are people here like that, they are everywhere.
We just try to continue to treat those with respect , but keeping our stance & integrity in what we believe.
If it had/has to come down to us getting more involved in our local government to help keep the rights of property owners in their own hands, well, we would be/are committed to that as well.
Sometimes it just takes opening up our mouths, in a respectful way, & letting the people in the local governments know what it is we would like to have or change. Sometimes they just aren't aware of the needs of some of their residents.
Okay, now I have said wayyy too much. I am getting down from the soap box now.:oops:

**Well now, don't tell me you haven't seen the fine print in the Animal Husbandry contract!
It specifically states that you are responsible for educating all your poultry to the "birds & Bees. A sit down might be in order, let us hope he just falls into line & copies the ducks..well not literally copies them, but , well, you know what I mean! :old
Go Klaus Go!:pop..was that wrong?...hahaha

00H0H_2iKKsEE0clh_600x450.jpg

I tried talking him into this this-morning, he was like :smack
I do love this breed , they look like shaggy dogs:D...with big noses...[/QUOTE
i had a cross between these and a dexter, born on our place. bought momma dexter and she was already bred to the pure bred scottish highland bull, she grew up to be a good looking stocky young lady

***I am totally down for the mini cows/heifers/steers, anything that comes in a more to "me" size to handle. That helps explain having 3 Pomeranians!!
I am NOT a tall or even average individual..4'11..yep, that's it.:oops:
Found out about these bits of awesomeness for a cool lady @sharron .
I believe she actually had some minis, not sure if she still does.
She sent me the red raspberries that have made our berry bed super producers!:D
no, not anymore danielle but if we ever stop being snow birds, will have at least one more but living in fl for the winter makes it hard for me to have animals anymore, i have to farm out my chickens, pay a friend to keep them til we get back
but anyway, i had a pure dexter cow that i broke to milk, boy was her milk good, her pure 1 year heifer calf, and she dropped another heifer calf(the half dexter,half highland) plus a mini white face bull, i loved that bull, he was such a sweetie, he was my favorite of all of them makes me :hitto think i had to get rid of them
maybe one day

Back
Top Bottom