Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Okay people, picture overload time!

This is just too cute!

D495A81A-A46A-4776-8A23-08F279B54257.jpeg

Mr. Possum, notice the chicken food on his nose lol.

2ADEE592-66FE-48BC-9F56-BBC0EEDBFEAE.jpeg

Our new pooch Maple. She is a husky mix, we think husky/shepherd. We rescued her in June. She was so skinnny and probably living in the streets in the south. We are still training her. We did have some issues with her grabbing a turkey chick or two when we first got her, but I think I was expecting too much too soon and she wanted to play more than hunt. There have been a few times now where the chickens or turkeys are well within her reach while she is tied out on a line, and she runs “at” them to make them run, not to grab them. She’ll be fine soon, but it’s funny to see the other dog correct her when she gets excited by the chickens. :old

D263C115-C41D-4120-BBCA-06C144F3C0AC.jpeg

Our pit mix, who is about 10 now.

355EFEDC-796E-4A2A-9A40-7F2C4824B298.jpeg

Another pic of Maple.
6D3DE789-8A7C-45A4-A8E8-F81AC8A983E8.jpeg

My aunts cute little Roo, who just showed up one day from the neighbors and never left. He has 3 fat girls all to himself! :lol:

0ECCB180-0F7F-428E-B1EB-482D067BD597.jpeg

These two pictures are out of order, but I went to move the kiddy pool the other week, and look what I found behind it! Little boogers...

933D9512-5BAE-439E-805C-BF1597D58C87.jpeg
B876C7CC-824B-4F36-9A89-069C467A72C1.jpeg

Trash picking for chickens, it’s a thing! Saw this beauty out on trash day by the curb. It was all wrapped up in plastic, and I could see a pane was broken, but I took a chance. It is a brand new window, and the pane that was broken was a double pane, so it will be fine for the cooop for some extra ventilation. What a find, it even had the mounting screws!
636F86E6-50BF-4669-B0CE-9787E02DFD28.jpeg

The newest group of chicks. They are huddled here because they don’t know where to go. I ordered from Murray McMurray this year for some variety, and because I talked a couple of neighbors into going in with an order to meet the minimum. I have 2 Jersey giants, 2 Blue Cochins, 2 Black Australorps, some Ehiting True Blue/Greens, and a few others. Pretty sure my one blue Cochin and partridge Cochin are Roos though. :hmm The good thing is, if they’re nice boys, I already have homes for them.

22479E62-A68A-40E0-AFEB-C85C2CBB1566.jpeg

Our other new addition, Kitty. She is a Moluccan Cockatoo rehomed from a friends friend. She is about 12 years old and very sweet and cuddly. But boy is she loud too. I didn’t realize when I first got her, I was reinforcing screaming patterns, so now we are trying to untrain that.

609E6EE5-A855-4631-91C7-54AE8A0502B7.jpeg

Two days worth of eggs!

B4F3BA1E-EE6C-4A1B-8248-E446745B2D64.jpeg

A friend gave me this pre-fab coop that he got from a friend, and had never used.
It needed a good power washing and some paint, but now it looks great, I put some casters on it, to pull it around, and it works well now like that because the chicks can go in and out from underneath.

133AAEED-F64C-4A13-8503-0ECDEA9C071F.jpeg

One of our female ducks. These poor girls are getting so abused because Donald doesn’t have enough girlfriends. He has pulled out their head feathers and even made some of them bleed. I told hubby we’d have to get him some new girls, or rehome him. I almost fell over when he said to get him some new girls! He even wanted to come with me to Tractor supply to pick them up! They usually have some few week old ducklings at this point. I’ll be grabbing any clearance meat birds if I find them too. :p

976C1971-C153-45CE-8A04-27774A7C7505.jpeg

The new chicks are loving life outside. I will be constructing some sort of temporary run that is protected from aerial predators.

0D78045C-390E-452D-822E-B5B7CABB61A0.jpeg

Facebook is the best place for us but that's only because we have someone on there that connects everyone and advertises it on all the local pages. You could also just call your local teacher supply and ask them if they know if there is a livestock swap and when it typically happens. Most times, they're not involved with it, they just allow us to use the their lot. Our first swap was yesterday and there was actually a nice crowd! I unloaded about 40 birds total (counting babies and quail), a few hen saddles, all the hatching eggs I took, and a few extra cockerels. I made over $200. I definitely wasn't expecting such a good turnout on the first one. I only brought back home a few BCM chicks and a bunch of brahma chicks.

Darn, I’m not on Facebook. I’ll have to ask a friend who is an follows chicken stuff. That’s awesome you made some serious dough!

@Auroradream26 Swaps sound fun! I wonder if I could take any Roos that may arise out of my ordered chicks to something like this and swap for girlies. @AnneInTheBurbs I can check the local township and county Facebook pages for you... :) What county are you in? Also, thanks so much for the warm welcome and helpful tidbits! I'm not too far from you! I would welcome a chicken chat opportunity! I'm in MontCo and frequent Harleysville for their feed stores and also drive up to Lancaster County for fun day trips. :D Best wishes in your ongoing journey to start a family... I hope your doctor responded accordingly to your eggs!!

Back
Top Bottom