Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I normally close up the coop at night. I thought the kids did it last night. But when I woke up this morning and looked out I saw all the birds out and about. And everyone was acting normal. And when I found him I was surprised. Because when ever anything attacks they hang around the barns for most of the day, till they feel safe. And where he was laying the foxes do not go there because there is not a good escape route but they way they came in. At least I have my Buff Orphington rooster.

Happy Independence Day, everyone!🥰✝️🇺🇸

@dheltzel, when the Silkie/Cochins you gave me last brooded, do you remember how many eggs they collected? The young black one and the “mille fleur” have been sitting for about a week, with 5 and 3 eggs respectively. I mean, flat-as-a-pancake, who-needs-food-and-water all-out broody, but I candled the eggs and didn’t see much activity, despite the hens’ careful attention. Maybe it’s just my eyes, I really am terrible at candling. Is it possible the rooster is shooting blanks? What could cause that? Very confused...and maybe I’m worrying for nothing. A few more weeks will tell, I guess...

Opinions: I have a largish free range area (perhaps 1000 sq ft) around part of my yard, not secure, and my 11-week old chicks are very happy there, and safely in their secure coop at night. I was going to electrify around the free range area, but severely cut my index finger while stripping the wire. Needed surgery and can't use that hand for a few months. So, that is on hold. In the meantime today I saw a long mammal with a tail longer than its body clinging to the wood fence INSIDE the enclosure this morning. The tail had stripes or rings. I guess it could be a squirrel with its tail flattened for balance, or it could be something worse. Any thoughts on what it might be, and if it is something that will eat my chicks? I live in Delaware county, near to Cobbs Creek (so water animals are a possibility).

Ahhh heck. The heat lamp went out. So, should I just let them huddle together with the wall heater on for them or go get a replacement bulb?
Heat lamps are too much heat for July. I use regular 60 watt bulbs. They are hard to find, but Lowes has them. Called "rough service" they are better quality than the cheap ones we used to get.

Happy Independence Day, everyone!🥰🇺🇸

@dheltzel, when the Silkie/Cochins you gave me last brooded, do you remember how many eggs they collected? The young black one and the “mille fleur” have been sitting for about a week, with 5 and 3 eggs respectively. I mean, flat-as-a-pancake, who-needs-food-and-water all-out broody, but I candled the eggs and didn’t see much activity, despite the hens’ careful attention. Maybe it’s just my eyes, I really am terrible at candling. Is it possible the rooster is shooting blanks? What could cause that? Very confused...and maybe I’m worrying for nothing. A few more weeks will tell, I guess...
The rooster is young, about a year old, so unproven, but most likely fertile. This hot weather has made overall fertility much worse for all my birds.

I have silly turkeys. They like to do what this one is doing.
ED6208E9-AAB5-4288-96D0-3E77DF9299F3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom