Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Just got a call from Penn State. They confirmed that Candy died from Marek. Her has microscale size of tumors in most her organs, which cannot be found by naked eyes. :hit She had minor coccidiosis too, which is not the cause of her death, but Doctor Dunn suggests that I don't need to treat the other chickens. She also said many chickens have high resistance to Marek, but Silkie is not. I explained to her that Candy is not a Silkie, but Ameraucana. Anyway, so I will have to vaccinate my chicks in the future for safe.
My experience with Silkied Ams is that they have more in common with Silkie Bantams than standard Ams. I could never keep a SiAm pullet with normal feathered birds, only the roos were large and robust enough to compete. I lost many each winter due to them just wasting away until they were too thin to survive. I rarely lose a normal feathered Am in the winter.

My experience with Silkied Ams is that they have more in common with Silkie Bantams than standard Ams. I could never keep a SiAm pullet with normal feathered birds, only the roos were large and robust enough to compete. I lost many each winter due to them just wasting away until they were too thin to survive. I rarely lose a normal feathered Am in the winter.
I'm wondering if the Silkie feather gene has something to do with their low resistance to diseases? Candy was only 1.9lb at 20 weeks, that's really a bantom size. I also feel her feathers don't do very good job to keep her warm.

When I used to feed fermented feed, I didn’t have an issue in the winter. Typically, the chickens will eat it very quickly. If you are feeding enough to last for several hours (I did), just make sure that you strain it better. I can’t remember ever having frozen food.
My chickens are slow eaters. It takes them a whole day to finish their fermented feed. Maybe after they get frozen food, they will learn to eat faster. :gig

An Unauthorized incubator brought home a family the other day...

20200926_074555.jpg
20200926_074622.jpg

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of Candy. I lost one of my first hen's (Daffodil) to Marek's. I had brought her inside and tube feed her for a long time so she was a real pet. U of Pa advised ONLY getting inoculated chicks in the future--advice which I have disregarded. My current hens from Dennis are doing great--I haven't lost a bird to Marek's for a couple years now. The last fatality to Marek's was a young male lavender Amerucana.
I did get chicks from My Pet Chicken which were inoculated, but I am not willing to forgo buying rare breeds from wonderful breeders.

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of Candy. I lost one of my first hen's (Daffodil) to Marek's. I had brought her inside and tube feed her for a long time so she was a real pet. U of Pa advised ONLY getting inoculated chicks in the future--advice which I have disregarded. My current hens from Dennis are doing great--I haven't lost a bird to Marek's for a couple years now. The last fatality to Marek's was a young male lavender Amerucana.
I did get chicks from My Pet Chicken which were inoculated, but I am not willing to forgo buying rare breeds from wonderful breeders.
I love Dennis chickens' personality and being autosex. It seems he can do the shots, then I can order the vaccination being shipped to him. Or if he is not comfortable to do it, I will ask my MIL to help since she was a nurse. I'm afraid to receive dead chicks in mail and don't want any mean bird either.

Back
Top Bottom