Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I planted garlics during the weekend. And ordered clear tarps to wrap my coop and run. Is it still too early to winterize the coop and run? Day is short now, and only two of our chickens are laying. Sun was broken from her broodiness very quickly, because my son was always happy to take her out of nexting box and carried her around. Poor girl gave up in few days and becomes our most reliable layer again. :gig

I planted garlics during the weekend. And ordered clear tarps to wrap my coop and run. Is it still too early to winterize the coop and run? Day is short now, and only two of our chickens are laying. Sun was broken from her broodiness very quickly, because my son was always happy to take her out of nexting box and carried her around. Poor girl gave up in few days and becomes our most reliable layer again. :gig

Haha! Tilley, your son is a bit of a ‘Chicken Whisperer’ 👍

One of the Guinneas has Started perching on top of the RSL coop 🥰. I’ve been working hard on an older coop that has more space for the Guinneas and Polish, it is taking me FOREVER~ I’m just not as young as I used to be.

3C897DE6-0687-472A-B152-F99CD0986450.jpeg

I'm usually behind on winterizing, so my example is not the best, but I don't even think about it until temps are consistently 50's or lower during the day. Usually when the first really cold wind is predicted, then I get the tarps up.

Haha! Tilley, your son is a bit of a ‘Chicken Whisperer’ 👍
He is very disappointed now, because Sun keeps running away from him. "Why doesn't she like to be picked up anymore?" Hi kid, she never wanted to be picked up by you! :lau He thinks anyone broody or squat down was asking him to pick her up. Sun does like to cuddle with me sometime though. I guess because I never pull her tail. :lol:

Can anyone help with flock problems? Now that my little polish is gone, my olive egger is at the bottom of the pecking order. She is a Welbar x Crested Legbar from Dennis. Whenever she tries to eat, the other 3 peck her -- even the tiny crested legbar pecks at her. I am having to put out 3 feeders for 4 birds to give her a chance to eat. But even then, she just wants to eat with the rest, and none of them will let her. I think she needs a gentle friends to balance things out. But other thoughts?

I have a feeder which is a black plastic bin with 6 3" pipe in it. No chicken can see each other when they eat, so no pecking. We made it by following this article, but used a plastic bin instead of a 5 gallon bucket:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...lon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3.834227/

I guess they will eventually settle after sortin gout the new pecking order? When I merged new chickens in, it takes them about 2 months to finally settle.

I wasn’t sure I could do it right, so I was very excited when one hole after another turned out right, and the pipes cut easily.

We first used a cheap clear bin from Walmart. It cracked when we drill the first hole. So we went to home depot and got a heavy duty one. It worked great! Every chicken has an own prefered spot. No fight. When I give them fermented food in rubber bowls, that's a different story though. :gigAt least they don't fight when they eat dry feed.

Back
Top Bottom