Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Just add some information about her: All my chickens are carriers of Marek's Disease, so they do not have great capability to fight diseases. The Corid I gave her was 2 teaspoon per gallon water. I just found out it should be 0.1ml per pound weight if feed directly. I will give her 0.4ml when I get home.

I always do 2 tsp/gallon of corid and it always seems to work well. Just remember not to give any vitamins at all when giving corid and to mix fresh daily.

ETA, I just use an eye dropper or make sure to dip the break often to make sure she's getting enough.

I always do 2 tsp/gallon of corid and it always seems to work well. Just remember not to give any vitamins at all when giving corid and to mix fresh daily.

ETA, I just use an eye dropper or make sure to dip the break often to make sure she's getting enough.
Thanks for the information. That's what I gave to Candy before she died. Penn State still found mild coccidiosis in her, so I think I have to directly give her orally since a sick bird may not drink enough. Googled online and find suggested dosage is 0.1ml per pound weight. I think that maybe a safer way to do it. I'll check first to see if she is better or not. If she gets better, I will stay with 2 teaspoon per gallon water.

I wish I had tried Corid on Jane. Try some scrambled eggs or cooked oatmeal. I have tube fed in the past, but it only delayed the inevitable.

Corid is the first thing I try if any bird is sick. It keeps coming back though, must be something in my soil. My girls are all picky. I tried scrambled egg before, and no one liked it. Will try again tonight. Canned corn is their favorite, so I gave her first. I read somebody suggest to tube feed gatorade first? Is that right? I ordered baby bird formula and tube feeding kit from amazon. Should be here tomorrow.

I just got a chick grow-out coop for my little chicks that are incubating (for when they are old enough to go outside, but not big enough to sleep with the adults.) I would love to put it on wheels to be able to move it around. What kind of wheels do you recommend, and where are they sold?

Henny is getting better. She ate all corns and some feed. I assume she drank water too, but hand feed her some water for safe. She also walked a little, not just stand still. Hopefully, she will recover soon. I just leave her Corid dosage as 2 teaspoon per gallon water.

Glad she sends to be improving! I had to treat a couple silkie pullets last week and they bounced back pretty quick.

I just got a chick grow-out coop for my little chicks that are incubating (for when they are old enough to go outside, but not big enough to sleep with the adults.) I would love to put it on wheels to be able to move it around. What kind of wheels do you recommend, and where are they sold?
Tractor Supply carries a nice selection of small tires which should be suitable. You can use a really long bolt through the wood to act as an 'axle' for the wheel to roll on. Add together thickness of wheel, wood it is mounting to and add another inch to be long enough.
Put the bolt through the wood with a washer between head and wood, tighten it down to the wood with a washer and nut so end sticks out on side you want the wheel. Put another large washer on it, then the wheel and another washer and a locking nut on the outside.

An alternative to independent bolts and wheels as above is a full width axle between the wood posts. That is easily made with a length of all thread or a piece of steel rod if you can drill it for pins. Drill through the two posts, slide the rod through first one, add washers, nuts and wheels and slide through second post and secure with more washers and nuts (or pins if using rods) on the outside of the posts.
Whichever method you use just remember so sandwich the wheel rather snug between washers/nuts. You want it to be able to roll on the bolt/axle but not wobble all over the place. If they wobble too much it wears on the bolt and will wear and possibly snap much quicker. Same with where it goes through your wood post. That part needs snugged tight to prevent wear. The axle isn't the part that spins, the wheel is supposed to spin on the axle.

Harbor Freight has decent wheels for cheap. Bigger is better if you are pulling over uneven ground. Personally, I find adding wheels too much work. I build movable pens with "skids", so I an just drag them. I use a wheeled dolly (hand truck style) for larger pens because you need to lift the leading edge clear of all obstacles.

My beloved head rooster, Danny, just died of our flock’s chronic respiratory infection. It flared up bad when the weather turned cold, his whole chest was full of fluid. Thank the Lord his children show more resistance to the infection and are much healthier. Danny fought it almost 3 years before he finally let go. His sons and daughters are gorgeous and will continue his legacy. 😭❤✝🌹
F7CFA277-D91E-4187-AD2C-A06CB3210666.jpeg

BFFBE0ED-74BB-4933-B21C-ED2EE60508EB.jpeg

BTW any ideas on his possible parentage from the photos? He was an Easter Egger, most of his daughters lay green, and with his shortened back I always assumed his father was Araucana, but not sure on his mom, Leghorn maybe? Just curious.❤

(Believe it or not, that’s a pea comb, just a very meaty one. It was on crooked too, always made him look like a gentleman who had cocked his hat)

Back
Top Bottom