Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

22C094AF-89EE-4A25-8803-C9F1A4D9BF5A.jpeg

I'm probably going to get a few more chicks this spring. I want chickens that are friendly and good with kids, add a variety of colors to the flock and the egg basket, and can handle the eastern PA weather. They don't have to be high-production layers, and I don't want feathered legs.

These are the breeds I'm mainly thinking of (not ALL of them at once, but to choose from):

Barnevelder
Buff Orpington
Cream Legbar
Dominique
Dorking
Easter Egger
Green Queen
Jersey Giant
Speckled Sussex
Welsummer

What do you think? I've never had any of these breeds. Any I should add or remove from the list?

I'm probably going to get a few more chicks this spring.
Easter Eggers aren't really a breed. If you want a green egg laying chicken, get a first generation mixture of blue layers x brown layers. If rather you like the looks of some easter eggers (for example, the muffs and pea combs), get some true Ameraucanas (like my avatar).

I'm probably going to get a few more chicks this spring. I want chickens that are friendly and good with kids, add a variety of colors to the flock and the egg basket, and can handle the eastern PA weather. They don't have to be high-production layers, and I don't want feathered legs.

These are the breeds I'm mainly thinking of (not ALL of them at once, but to choose from):

Barnevelder
Buff Orpington
Cream Legbar
Dominique
Dorking
Easter Egger
Green Queen
Jersey Giant
Speckled Sussex
Welsummer

What do you think? I've never had any of these breeds. Any I should add or remove from the list?

I've never had buff orpingtons but I have English orpingtons and they're easily one of my favorite breeds. They're huge and such friendly birds. EEs can vary widely since they're just colored egg laying mixes but are generally gentle and friendly. Speckled Sussex tend to be very sweet and beautiful. Legbars are beautiful and good layers though most of the ones I had tended to be more skittish. That's about the extent of my input from your list :)

You don’t have any Plymouth Rocks on the list.
I wasn’t impressed with the JG. Welsummer are good though.
I did forget Plymouth Rocks AND Wyandottes! I think I was still looking at color variations, and hadn't decided on one. I like the look of the Partridge Rocks, but I see folks saying they're skittish and mean to other chickens. So maybe Barred Rocks?

Easter Eggers aren't really a breed. If you want a green egg laying chicken, get a first generation mixture of blue layers x brown layers. If rather you like the looks of some easter eggers (for example, the muffs and pea combs), get some true Ameraucanas (like my avatar).
What's the bonus of Ameraucanas over Easter Eggers? Ameraucanas seem a lot more expensive, so that's why I went with the other. I like both the look and the egg colors.

I did forget Plymouth Rocks AND Wyandottes! I think I was still looking at color variations, and hadn't decided on one. I like the look of the Partridge Rocks, but I see folks saying they're skittish and mean to other chickens. So maybe Barred Rocks?

What's the bonus of Ameraucanas over Easter Eggers? Ameraucanas seem a lot more expensive, so that's why I went with the other. I like both the look and the egg colors.
I didn’t find them skittish. Barred is okay. I had one that was crazy friendly.

Ameraucana vs: EE is like tan vs: brown. Am are a true blue. The EE can even be white or brown. I knew what you meant. Saying EE is fine.

I have white rocks, heritage barred rocks, and a partridge rock--all are sweet and friendly and the partridge is VERY talky and interactive. My silver penciled rock is nervy and pecky. Also I have silver and blue laced wyandotte, welbars(Dennis!) and Legbars..and English Orps. My production red is seven now and still laying.

Attachments

• eggs2021.jpg
    eggs2021.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 0
  • silverpencil and welbar.jpg
    silverpencil and welbar.jpg
    548.8 KB · Views: 0

Where do you live? I am near Pottstown and if that is not too far a drive, I have some nice Ameraucana lines. The only problem is that I can't sex them. But if you get too many roos, they are amongst the easiest breed to find new homes for. And if you can keep a roo, they are fantastic flock masters. I am always impressed at their gentility with the ladies.
I love the looks and personality of the true Ameraucanas. I seem to collect different colors and can't help myself, even though I can sell 10x the number of Cream Legbars or Opals because they are sexable at hatch.
If you are close by, take a look at my website, welbars.com, but ignore the prices there, I give good discounts for friends I meet here.

Back
Top Bottom