Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Welcome! Here is a picture of my favorite SLW. I have a couple of hatchery Gold /black laced but I was very disappointed in their coloring and markings. I haven't been able to find nice ones for a while.

Attachments

• Phoenix.jpg
    Phoenix.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 4
Is it irresponsible to not know which generation is which? I am running out of time to use body size as an indicator. It’s near impossible as it is now. I don’t mean I’m going to have inbreeding, I just won’t know ages.
Anyway... I have three broodies now, and I’m 90% sure it is in fact the three from last year. That would mean that I lost a pullet in October, not a hen.

Is it irresponsible to not know which generation is which? I am running out of time to use body size as an indicator. It’s near impossible as it is now. I don’t mean I’m going to have inbreeding, I just won’t know ages.
Anyway... I have three broodies now, and I’m 90% sure it is in fact the three from last year. That would mean that I lost a pullet in October, not a hen.
It is nearly impossible to keep track when they all look identical. We have many of ours marked by using different colored zip ties... red right, red left, green right, green left, etc. Even some double ties on left or right legs. Even with those it's hard to remember who brooded when or who raised which chicks.
Right now we have 4 hens raising chicks, 8 broodies waiting for chicks and 2 more non committed but thinking about it. And one hen who decided out of the blue to adopt a 6 week old who had been cut loose from its broody and was roaming around acting pathetic (as recent orphans tend to do when cut loose from broody apron strings). So that little one hit the chick jackpot. It was raised by an attentive momma its first x6 weeks and now found a foster momma to continue spoiling it for probably another 5 or 6 weeks. It will probably be a holy terror in the coop as a teenager, and with our luck its probably a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom