Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I am considering getting Bielefelders again. When I had them before, I think they were too inbred because I got relatively few eggs (though they were jumbo sized) and they hatched poorly (maybe too big an egg). At the time my Welbars were just getting to be properly autosexing and were laying circles around the Biels, so the decision to focus on Welbars was easy. A good friend has a line that is going gangbusters for him. He had to source a male from a different breeder because all his chicks were female, so perhaps that outcross was the "trick"
That would be great! When you have them and ameraucana pullets, I'll definitely get some. Of course, I would go just for ameraucanas. My son wanted a black one just like Candy, but we got a splash this time. The Biel girl, Bear, was not a lap chicken, but super calm and beautiful! Her eggs were huge! My coop is 8X10 and there are 10 chickens now, so I should be able to fit a few more girls in. :D

With Marans it really depends who you get them from. I have some from Dennis and some from Kim Renninger, each have their advantages and disadvantages. I wouldn’t call them skittish, but they are alert, intelligent, and somewhat aloof toward me, though they will allow handling within reason. My current flock leader is one of Dennis’s BCMs, a handsome gentleman named Rex. His is kind and affectionate to his girls, tolerant of me, the lesser roosters obey him and unlike them (EE hybrids) he NEVER barebacks the hens. The girls are still pretty sore from the young EEs discovering their masculinity this spring, but the worst offender is in the fridge now and the other 2 seem to have calmed down. Rex’s chicks are beautiful too, he seems to like other Marans and Jersey Giants best.🥰

One of my one week old chick, Pudge the dorking, ran backwards today. She tried to come to feeder, but couldn’t help herself from running back. I was shocked to see it! Wry neck? But no twisted neck and head was up. I add nutri drench to their water everyday. How could this happen? Anyway, I went to get Polyvisol to add to their water and gave her two drops. Add brewers yeast to their feed, gave chopped egg and dills. They only want egg, no dill. What else can I do? By the way, she stopped after I gave her polyvisol.

He was about 100 yards from the house this evening.
IMG_5962.JPG

Back
Top Bottom