Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hello everyone! I have been absent a bit, trying to rearrange my life since my mom passed away. I got a new dog and am showing her, which fills some of the hole in my heart. I found a nice local FB chicken group--someone there needs a trapper for their fox problem--Blarney, didn't you have success with your trapper?
I wonder if the local game warden would know of any trappers in the area. If they gave you a name/number you could be pretty sure they would be respectful of your property because they would want the warden to hear good things and make future recommendations.

Nope, Spitzhauben are too small to eat. He is pretty tall now, but quite scrawny. He follows me around so he can eat from the feed bucket. He sleeps on a wagon, but not all the way at the top. I took the larger rooster that was sleeping above him, so hopefully he finds his way higher for a permanent roost.
Poor Ansel, tell him to eat more! If I were closer I would bring him some mealy worms.

Poor Ansel, tell him to eat more! If I were closer I would bring him some mealy worms.
He's not thin for a Spitzhauben, but these are clearly not meat birds. My Legbars are the same way, not really worth the cost to process them. I pick the largest, then oldest roosters to eat. Those tend to be the meanest overall too, so removing them lets the younger ones blossom and get some girls.
I was surprised how much meat some of the Ameraucana cockerels had on them. They are destined for making stock/broth and then shredded chicken sandwhiches, so the size is less important than the flavor and free ranging roosters have a strong flavor.

Free range older birds make the richest broth, and if you can pressure can the meat even the oldest and toughest bird makes great eating. One of our favorite, and quickest, meals when we are short time is bar-b-que chicken roll up... remember, the chicken is thoroughly cooked in the canning process, so really only needs reheated.
Insta pot-
Quart jar of drained chicken chunks (dogs go crazy for the drained broth over their kibble)
1/2 cup of favorite BBQ sauce
1/4 cup of water (in bottom of pot just to reduce any sticking
Seal and pressure cook for 2 minutes just to get moisture through the meat
While meat is cooking...
chop/shred
-lettuce
-Tomato
-Black olives
-mild cheddar type cheese
Also have available sour cream, extra BBQ sauce or mayonnaise depending on preferences.
We use the basic round soft tortillas, I like the carb balance ones. Can be regular or toasted.
Simply fix the roll up with preferred toppings, add some of the cooked chicken (which shreds when stirred), roll up and enjoy.
I usually do one roll up, then make a small salad with the left over fixings for lunch the next day.

I haven't eaten chicken in 35 years ... unlikely to start anytime soon.
I almost gave up eating turkey after raising my first turkeys from poults. They were so tame and trusting compared to chickens, I decided I could still eat chicken, but not turkey.
Now I tell myself I didn't know and like the particular turkey I am consuming.
I should probably never raise pigs, I know they are intelligent, but actually experiencing it might make me swear off pork. Or, I might find them very annoying in some way and decide they are too smart for their own good and go ahead and eat them.

I almost gave up eating turkey after raising my first turkeys from poults. They were so tame and trusting compared to chickens, I decided I could still eat chicken, but not turkey.
I should probably never raise pigs, I know they are intelligent, but actually experiencing it might make me swear off pork. Or, I might find them very annoying in some way and decide they are too smart for their own good and go ahead and eat them.

That's how we eat the turkeys. They have to be ones that we purposely keep at a distance and don't get friendly with. We did do the pig thing once....he was extremely annoying and we very much enjoyed the pork. It was still sad to take him to the butcher but it needed done.

It would be rather ironic if I had a pet chicken that was nasty enough that I started eating chicken again....

I actually have a similar experience with deer. I rather despise deer, after two car accidents in which deer ran into the side of my car. In one case, my window was open and the glass from my side view mirror slit my wrist. It was a minor accident but I almost bled out and had blood stains in that car until we got rid of it. After that I did not eat deer but I was willing to feed my dog venison.

Back
Top Bottom