Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

04A91A26-BE9C-44B3-A0C8-662F58657A89.jpeg

Picked up 5 chicks at Dennis’s place. Two lavender ameraucanas, two black ameraucanas, and a olive egger. Last night, I thought they were all dead, since they laid under heating pad and didn’t move for at least 3 hours! I never saw any baby chicks doing this. At first, if I touch or move them, they would open their eyes but not move. At about 9:00 pm, only one even opened her eyes and she opened her mouth and breathed heavy. I thought I would wake up this morning with 5 dead chicks. No, everyone is active and happy! I’m so confused about what happened. Only thing I can think is I used this heating pad on the way home:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01949J35K?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Not sure if it released some chemicals to knock them out like that? But definitely not going to use it again.

I cleaned chicken coop today. All bedding out. Sprayed with Disinfection and permethrin. Waiting for it to dry now. All big girls have been treated for mites and are in deworming process now. Hopefully, chicks will move in a nice clean coop in a couple months. Thanks so much to Dennis for helping my son get his chicks and even gave us some extra eggs to eat during our deworming time.

View attachment 3238963
Picked up 5 chicks at Dennis’s place. Two lavender ameraucanas, two black ameraucanas, and a olive egger. Last night, I thought they were all dead, since they laid under heating pad and didn’t move for at least 3 hours! I never saw any baby chicks doing this. At first, if I touch or move them, they would open their eyes but not move. At about 9:00 pm, only one even opened her eyes and she opened her mouth and breathed heavy. I thought I would wake up this morning with 5 dead chicks. No, everyone is active and happy! I’m so confused about what happened. Only thing I can think is I used this heating pad on the way home:
Not sure if it released some chemicals to knock them out like that? But definitely not going to use it again.
I'm so glad they all made it. I was distraught when you said they were all dying.
I know if anyone can make 5 chicks into pet divas, you and your family can.
Have the 2 black ones been noisy, like they were when we separated them (they were only going to get 1 black Am, but they were both making so much noise, we decided they needed each other) ?

I'm so glad they all made it. I was distraught when you said they were all dying.
I know if anyone can make 5 chicks into pet divas, you and your family can.
Have the 2 black ones been noisy, like they were when we separated them (they were only going to get 1 black Am, but they were both making so much noise, we decided they needed each other) ?
Yeah, the two black ones are still very loud:) And they don’t act like close friends either. I don’t know if my son got a wrong black chick as the friend or not. They are all friendly so far. Nobody runs away from me. The olive egger, Little dragon, likes to jump on my hands to roost. :D

View attachment 3238963
That sounds horrifying. Good to know -- will not use that kind of heat pack. I always just turned on the seat heat in my car...

@feliciadawn you want a spitzhauben pullet or 2?
I'm planning to sell off most of them, I hatched a bunch and found them not very good sellers as chicks. I also don't like how flighty they are. Thought I'd give you (or others here) first crack at them.

Just looked them up. Small end of large breed. One site said they do ok in a run, the other said they don't and prefer roaming. Sheesh.

Also, is avian flu still a concern at the moment? I haven't heard anything recently about it.

Back
Top Bottom