Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hi Dennis! Awesome, what lines did you start from? I certainly will, your plenty close, I will probably want to incubate, since I don't get the opportunity anymore, and grands would be excited to watch and learn as well. That said, I may not have time to do so, so I may ask for chicks come spring or eggs for a broody hen.
I started with 2 local lines, Blacks from a guy in Elverson that was selling eggs on eBay. We have become friends after that transaction. The other line was from a young guy in NJ that had the Blue gene. I combined those 2 lines and have been selecting for darker eggs.
About 18 months ago I acquired 2 cockerels from a local breeder who bought eggs from Mashburns Marens (TN). She had lost all the pullets and so I swapped her for 2 of my pullets. Those cockerels made a huge difference in the egg color and now whenever I post that egg pic I get orders for chicks right away.

I really believe that when you select for dark eggs, you are also selecting for lower egg production. I keep a large flock of Marans to compensate for that, but I let people know that my line of Welbars will lay circles around the Coppers and they are easily sexable at hatch. I sell female Welbars for the same price as straight run Copper Marans (because the Marans pullets/hens lay far fewer eggs per bird), and still people go for the Marans . . .

I started with 2 local lines, Blacks from a guy in Elverson that was selling eggs on eBay. We have become friends after that transaction. The other line was from a young guy in NJ that had the Blue gene. I combined those 2 lines and have been selecting for darker eggs.
About 18 months ago I acquired 2 cockerels from a local breeder who bought eggs from Mashburns Marens (TN). She had lost all the pullets and so I swapped her for 2 of my pullets. Those cockerels made a huge difference in the egg color and now whenever I post that egg pic I get orders for chicks right away.

I really believe that when you select for dark eggs, you are also selecting for lower egg production. I keep a large flock of Marans to compensate for that, but I let people know that my line of Welbars will lay circles around the Coppers and they are easily sexable at hatch. I sell female Welbars for the same price as straight run Copper Marans (because the Marans pullets/hens lay far fewer eggs per bird), and still people go for the Marans . . .

Interesting about the laying. I dont remember my Bev marans doing that and they were dark. But yeah I had quite a few too so maybe didnt even notice.

@OneMountainAcres has silkies still… I think.

Thank you! I believe I did talk to her before from my other account before I forgot my info, and told her come spring or summer if she has any to let me know!☺️ So hopefully she sees this and my new account! Lol

Yes, I do still have silkies but they're not seperated right now. I will have them seperated in the spring though.

Has anyone up by Pittsburgh PA. Specifically around the North Park area. Seen a lone Canadian Goose? She would be a yearling. I had rescued her from the road as a hatchling and she was very much a part of my family. She lived inside with me as she grew up, never caged always free to roam. As she imprinted she was always by my side. Of course she became more independent as she grew older and I would always take her out looking for others like her to bond with and teach her the goose ways. Well I knew this couldn't be a forever thing and I've cried about it very much. Especially after the Maryland DNR caught on and was going to take and more then likely kill her. Since she was human bonded I had figured out they would deem her not rehabilitative. I had searched high and low for A sanctuary willing to take her and couldn't find anyone. Until this lovely lady that had a goose sanctuary in her backyard with a nice pond and had 2 other Canadian geese that were lifelong tenants due to past injuries and trauma. Well it was the perfect place for her to be able to bond with other geese while having a safe space. Well I didn't want to overwhelm the lady and would check in time to time. Then near the beginning of September I had got the news she had flown away and she hadn't been able to find her. I have been worried sick ever since. I know they have incredible instincts but how she was human boned is terrifying to me. Please does anyone have any advice or maybe have seen any lone Canadian geese around.?

Has anyone up by Pittsburgh PA. Specifically around the North Park area. Seen a lone Canadian Goose? She would be a yearling. I had rescued her from the road as a hatchling and she was very much a part of my family. She lived inside with me as she grew up, never caged always free to roam. As she imprinted she was always by my side. Of course she became more independent as she grew older and I would always take her out looking for others like her to bond with and teach her the goose ways. Well I knew this couldn't be a forever thing and I've cried about it very much. Especially after the Maryland DNR caught on and was going to take and more then likely kill her. Since she was human bonded I had figured out they would deem her not rehabilitative. I had searched high and low for A sanctuary willing to take her and couldn't find anyone. Until this lovely lady that had a goose sanctuary in her backyard with a nice pond and had 2 other Canadian geese that were lifelong tenants due to past injuries and trauma. Well it was the perfect place for her to be able to bond with other geese while having a safe space. Well I didn't want to overwhelm the lady and would check in time to time. Then near the beginning of September I had got the news she had flown away and she hadn't been able to find her. I have been worried sick ever since. I know they have incredible instincts but how she was human boned is terrifying to me. Please does anyone have any advice or maybe have seen any lone Canadian geese around.?
I'm guessing she's alive and well. They are highly adaptive fowl and can live close to anywhere. I agree with BullChick that she's probably enjoying herself with her wild buddies.
I don't think you need to be worried about her.

My shy black ameraucana pullet, Water, developed wry neck today. I went to feed them this morning and found her hiding in coop corner with wry neck, being cold and weak, so I brought her in my basement. The strange thing is: Becuase my Dorking hen has mild wry neck, I have added vitamin E and multivitamin in their feed every day for over a month. my Dorking is almost back to completely normal, so I know they have enough vitamin. I did find some blood on her beak and she is the only chick roosting with big girls, so she might be bullied and injured? Anyway, I force feed her some vitamin E and vitamin water this morning. I will give her some eggs when I come home. Anything else should I do?

Back
Top Bottom