Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

You've been married a while also, surely you've come to the realization that there are certain things in a marriage that are better left in the dark!
There are many things I never ask her about and this is one the she avoids also.
Definitely 100%.
I stay out of the shop and never ask where the new to us piece of equipment came from.

Anyone paying special attention to the train derailment at the boarder of PA and Ohio? I’ve read a few reports of people about 100 miles out claiming their livestock and fish are dying, but don’t see a whole lot of media coverage to know what’s happening for sure. I’m about 150 miles from the site, so just curious if you all have heard anything!

Hey all! Back from the not-dead, how's everyone doing? I've been going crazy with the mud at my place (already) and just expanded my goose pen this weekend. The geese are doing great, I finally had success in getting goslings for the first time last spring. And now I'm hoping those youngsters are going to be laying up a storm (hopefully). The chickens have been all over the place, there's been several fox attacks over the last couple of years so we've got an entirely new crew of chickens at this point.

And every time I get enough eggs to sell someone comes and buys me clear out. Which hey, I'm not complaining but it would be nice to eat some of my own eggs every once in a while.:gig

Anybody new that I haven't met yet? I know it's been a loooonnnggg time since I've been on. So for those of you that don't know me, Hi! I'm Jack. I'm down in Berks County and I have chickens and Buff Saddleback Pomeranian Geese. I tried showing poultry before, eh that didn't go so well for me. If I'm in a better spot in the future to give it a shot again I might try with my waterfowl.

I'm kinda tempted to maybe get in on the hatching scene and see if I can get myself set up to breed out Red Sexlinks. I've been trying to find more pullets to get some more fresh layers in and everywhere is sold out. I mean everywhere. Moyer's is sold out of pullets for the entire year already, and my local feed mill is sold out completely and they're still technically doing order forms!

Also yes, if anyone wants pictures of the goslings from last spring just yell and I'll be happy to share em.

Anyone paying special attention to the train derailment at the boarder of PA and Ohio? I’ve read a few reports of people about 100 miles out claiming their livestock and fish are dying, but don’t see a whole lot of media coverage to know what’s happening for sure. I’m about 150 miles from the site, so just curious if you all have heard anything!
I'm about 75 or 80 miles east-south-east of there in Freeport, PA area and I haven't noticed anything. There's plenty of wildlife around and I haven't seen any sick or dead. I would imagine that with the terrain and vegetation in this part of the state (hilly and well forested) might trap a lot of it closer to the site. Or at least I hope so. I guess it would depend on which way the winds were blowing when it happened too.

Hey all! Back from the not-dead, how's everyone doing? I've been going crazy with the mud at my place (already) and just expanded my goose pen this weekend. The geese are doing great, I finally had success in getting goslings for the first time last spring. And now I'm hoping those youngsters are going to be laying up a storm (hopefully). The chickens have been all over the place, there's been several fox attacks over the last couple of years so we've got an entirely new crew of chickens at this point.

And every time I get enough eggs to sell someone comes and buys me clear out. Which hey, I'm not complaining but it would be nice to eat some of my own eggs every once in a while.:gig

Anybody new that I haven't met yet? I know it's been a loooonnnggg time since I've been on. So for those of you that don't know me, Hi! I'm Jack. I'm down in Berks County and I have chickens and Buff Saddleback Pomeranian Geese. I tried showing poultry before, eh that didn't go so well for me. If I'm in a better spot in the future to give it a shot again I might try with my waterfowl.

I'm kinda tempted to maybe get in on the hatching scene and see if I can get myself set up to breed out Red Sexlinks. I've been trying to find more pullets to get some more fresh layers in and everywhere is sold out. I mean everywhere. Moyer's is sold out of pullets for the entire year already, and my local feed mill is sold out completely and they're still technically doing order forms!

Also yes, if anyone wants pictures of the goslings from last spring just yell and I'll be happy to share em.
:frow
I got a pair of Pilgrim geese in the Fall of '21 and hatched 36 goslings last spring! I like to hatch eggs and goose eggs are a real challenge (as are Muscovies and Peafowl). I have 3 Sebastopol eggs incubating now, and should be putting more of them and some Embden eggs in next Saturday. Still waiting for the Pilgrims to start laying, but I put in nest boxes yesterday and one of the yearling females was trying one out for size.
I will be hatching ducks this year also, if you want to add some comic relief to your goose pen.
I would not recommend red sexlinks, even if you can find them. I can get you Welbars, Legbars and Olive Eggers, and if you want to sell eggs or chicks, all those are gonna get you more money.
Or Copper Marans if you want to grow some out and sell the pullets. I have so many people that want Copper Marans pullets. I just tell people no, I don't do that, but maybe I should offer them at a very high price to make the chicks seem like a better deal.
Anyway, I expect to have plenty of chicks in a few weeks. I just set 544 chicken eggs last night!

Dennis

I'm about 75 or 80 miles east-south-east of there in Freeport, PA area and I haven't noticed anything. There's plenty of wildlife around and I haven't seen any sick or dead. I would imagine that with the terrain and vegetation in this part of the state (hilly and well forested) might trap a lot of it closer to the site. Or at least I hope so. I guess it would depend on which way the winds were blowing when it happened too.
Update - I've heard small amounts of the chemicals were identified already in the Ohio River which spans several states and there was a rather large fish and other wildlife die off around the area where the wreck occurred. That's not good if you live near the Ohio or any of it's tributaries.

Welcome back! I remember seeing you around though my name may have been different back then (Auroradream26). That's crazy that everywhere is sold out. I will be pairing a RSL x polish roo with my leghorn to hatch out some chicks that I think will be great layers. I already have turkey poults and Ameraucana chicks hatching weekly.

Back
Top Bottom