Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I'm way on the other side of the state near Altoona/ Ebensburg/ Johnstown. I believe @dheltzel would be closer to you and has spitzhaubens. I actually gave away my spitz roo about a month ago anyway so I don't have them anymore now.
Ohh okay. Thank you! I'm actually on his list to get a few chicks around 04/02. I didn't see Spitzhauben on his list anywhere or I would have inquired about those!

I'm way on the other side of the state near Altoona/ Ebensburg/ Johnstown. I believe @dheltzel would be closer to you and has spitzhaubens. I actually gave away my spitz roo about a month ago anyway so I don't have them anymore now.
I got rid of the Spitzhaubens. Too mean and not good layers. Pen space is at a premium at my place and they did not make the cut. A few hatcheries sell them, but always straight run, so you need to buy a group to have a decent chance to get a female.

I got rid of the Spitzhaubens. Too mean and not good layers. Pen space is at a premium at my place and they did not make the cut. A few hatcheries sell them, but always straight run, so you need to buy a group to have a decent chance to get a female.

Mine weren't mean but extremely flighty. I like to be able to approach my birds and hold them if I choose. Some of mine are still flighty but they make up for it in egg production so they get to stay... for now.

I loved my Spitzhaubens but they started out sickly, I nursed them back to health, and then they died anyway. Only lasted 2 months or so. I think the ones I got were too fragile for my setup. I am getting some Mottled Houdans in a few weeks as I do love a crested bird.
I heard that Mottled Houdans are really friendly and always want them. Unfortunately, my houdan chick didn't survive shipping. Good luck with yours!

I heard that Mottled Houdans are really friendly and always want them. Unfortunately, my houdan chick didn't survive shipping. Good luck with yours!
I've never had them. When I was a boy in 4-H someone showed a pair at the county fair. That rooster was the meanest, nastiest chicken I had ever seen up to that point in my life. I resolved to never keep them.
I ended up with a silkie rooster that was even meaner, so it probably less the breed than the upbringing.
Those Spitzhauben roos would stalk children that came to the farm and attack from behind. Never had any other breed do that when running feral. These guys sought out ways to get themselves on the "no fly list".

I've never had them. When I was a boy in 4-H someone showed a pair at the county fair. That rooster was the meanest, nastiest chicken I had ever seen up to that point in my life. I resolved to never keep them.
I ended up with a silkie rooster that was even meaner, so it probably less the breed than the upbringing.
Those Spitzhauben roos would stalk children that came to the farm and attack from behind. Never had any other breed do that when running feral. These guys sought out ways to get themselves on the "no fly list".
I guess the personality really depends on the strain, not just breed.

I think you may want to change your roo for the sexlink ameraucanas. I got 3 olive eggs yesterday while I only have two olive eggers. This is the second time it happened in a week, so I’m sure it’s from my lavender ameraucana. All three ameraucanas laid yesterday, two turquoise and one olive color. The speckled olive egg is from my olive egger pullet, the other olive egg on top is from my lavender ameraucana. The top turquoise egg is Water’s and the bottom one is Pepsi’s egg. I guess your roo carries some brown egg genes.

Attachments

• 624AF39F-C359-42A3-8712-32A32B8F5D5D.jpeg
    624AF39F-C359-42A3-8712-32A32B8F5D5D.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 5
By the way, this is the lavender ameraucana KitKat who lays olive eggs. She looks pure ameraucana.

Attachments

• BAB7F03F-CD98-4612-8508-76A5600C90F9.jpeg
    BAB7F03F-CD98-4612-8508-76A5600C90F9.jpeg
    757.1 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom