Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

20230502_064557[1].jpg
20230502_064620[1].jpg

These two were identical little butterscotch chicks with the darker caramel "racing stripes" down their backs. Now they are looking not like twins anymore. Any idea on what breed they are? From a Murray McMurray Layer assorted batch. I also have 5 identical white (Pale yellow chicks) in the same batch.

I have noticed that some breeds lay in spurts, where for a period of time they lay an egg nearly every day. Ducks are like that too. These breeds usually start later and stop earlier than the "laying breeds" like Welbars and Legbars. I don't keep such good records of individual hens, but in some cases I can tell because of egg color or separate confinement.
Right now I am getting loads of Ameraucana eggs and eating most of them because there is little demand, even for sexed chicks. The confusion with hatchery Ameraucanas has devalued the real one for many people.

This is likely to be my last year with large fowl Ameraucanas. I will keep the bantams, and maybe the Mottleds if they should happen to do better this year than previous years.
That's so sad! Your Ameraucanas are nearly the perfect chickens: Friendly, beautiful, pretty eggs, great layer (at least half time). Hatcheries sell a single lavender Ameraucana chick for $99 and still have them sold out quickly. And their Ameraucanas are skittish. I don't understand why no locals wants to buy from you. :(

If I don't have so many diseases in my flock, I would consider to keep a small breeding flock of black Ameraucanas. But MG will pass to the eggs/chicks, and the Marek's is a really trouble too. Even I changed my cloths before I went to the chicks last year, I guess I still brought some Marek's virus to them so two of them got sick.

View attachment 3489994View attachment 3489996

These two were identical little butterscotch chicks with the darker caramel "racing stripes" down their backs. Now they are looking not like twins anymore. Any idea on what breed they are? From a Murray McMurray Layer assorted batch. I also have 5 identical white (Pale yellow chicks) in the same batch.
They look like red sexlinks, but I'm no expert.

View attachment 3489994View attachment 3489996

Lady, what did you order? :lol: 🤔:jumpyat least they look female:pop:love

We are set to get some of our littles the end of this week!! Can NOT wait!! Finally:wee

I have noticed that some breeds lay in spurts, where for a period of time they lay an egg nearly every day. Ducks are like that too. These breeds usually start later and stop earlier than the "laying breeds" like Welbars and Legbars. I don't keep such good records of individual hens, but in some cases I can tell because of egg color or separate confinement.
Right now I am getting loads of Ameraucana eggs and eating most of them because there is little demand, even for sexed chicks. The confusion with hatchery Ameraucanas has devalued the real one for many people.

This is likely to be my last year with large fowl Ameraucanas. I will keep the bantams, and maybe the Mottleds if they should happen to do better this year than previous years.
Oh no! Ameraunas are the best for me. Will you still have silkied ones in the future?

Give a SHOUT!!
ya.gif

list
----------
Tonini3059
Scoop
Howipinchapenny
SunAngel
ChickyLuara
Kbarret
dirtybug
Whenchickensdream