Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Quote:
Hey neighbor! I am from Millersburg too! Welcome!
smile.png

I just pop on here now and then, but...
I'm from southwestern, PA. A small town about 25 minutes from Washington, PA - southwest of Pittsburgh. It's been fun reading a bunch of these posts. I never knew there were so many BCYers from the Pittsburgh area.
smile.png

Thornbury Township Chester County.

Just looking into the possibility of getting some Chickens, but don't know the requirements / rules. Anybody want to fill me in on where to find out if I have enough land or whatever else is required by the county or whomever??? I love the idea of being a bit more self reliant these days!

Mick

Quote:
======
Hi Mick,
Don't tell them you want to inquire about chickens. No need to raise any warning flags with any activists who might be working in the office. Ask them if your township is zoned for all USDA agricutural activities. Poultry is a USDA agricutural activity. If they say yes, then (later when you have chickens) try to get in your face, get the farmers on your side. They will let the office know in no uncertain terms they won't brook any interference with their livelihoods, ....even if the issue is poultry and they farm grains, dairy or beef. On another note, go to the county courthouse and see what your individual lot is zoned for. Don't mention animals of any kind. Once you find out, ask the folks helping you for a list of all the activities allowed on your lot by your lot's zoning. If they ask why you want to know, tell them the realtor never told you and you're curious. No need to tell them more.
Ok, by now you know the Township and lot requirements. If you live in a Borough, you need to check there too. By very careful how you approach it and don't mention poultry. Use cats instead as, "I am checking on if cats or other petsare allowed on my Borough lot." Then, most probably, they will read you the whole list of regulatiosn and rules, without you having to mention poultry. No reason to get some small town politics going where suddenly someone (with a vision of 100 dirty crowing roosters in their head) decides " Oh, we should ban chickens in the Borough". Then you have that fight to deal with too. Discretion is the better part of valor, here.
Best,
Karen in westrn PA

Quote:
Where at in butlet county? Im near zelie

Sorry it took so long to repsond. I'm in Renfrew (south of butler). I've got the guineas and ducks in a brooder together. the guineas love the extra heat the ducks throw off but the brooder keep getting soggy (messy messy ducks). I would love to pick up some blue/green egglayers but maybe next year. I've got two brown leghorn roos i'm going to learn to process in a couple of weeks too.

Quote:
Where at in butlet county? Im near zelie

Sorry it took so long to repsond. I'm in Renfrew (south of butler). I've got the guineas and ducks in a brooder together. the guineas love the extra heat the ducks throw off but the brooder keep getting soggy (messy messy ducks). I would love to pick up some blue/green egglayers but maybe next year. I've got two brown leghorn roos i'm going to learn to process in a couple of weeks too.

Thats awesome. Im thinking of getting an americana for my next roo. First working on hatching some eggs should have 9 to set thurs unless i find a local seller. Dh wony let me get ducks though. Lol and ill be learning to process come oct with all yhe extra chickens from the hatch.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom