Penny's feet :(

LBsChickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 10, 2014
Michigan
My chicken Penny suddenly stopped walking a few days ago, she can't stand at all and has diaherea, I took her to the vet and he said she was dehydrated and gave me medicine for it, but yesterday her feet became very swollen, it looks like her joints are swollen, so I called him and he told me I would probably have to get her put down. But she's still so alert and eating and drinking like normal and talking to me. It's hard because I feel like there could be a way to fix her. I don't know what to do, please help!

My chicken Penny suddenly stopped walking a few days ago, she can't stand at all and has diaherea, I took her to the vet and he said she was dehydrated and gave me medicine for it, but yesterday her feet became very swollen, it looks like her joints are swollen, so I called him and he told me I would probably have to get her put down. But she's still so alert and eating and drinking like normal and talking to me. It's hard because I feel like there could be a way to fix her. I don't know what to do, please help!
Since you said she was dehydrated maybe she has gout? All i can do is refer you to some links on it since i haven't had to treat for it maybe this will help.. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=2497
https://www.google.com/search?cof=L...766;&q=gout+in+poultry&btnG=Search&gws_rd=ssl
Lots of info and pics here that may help. Sorry so long a link.

Last edited:
That does sound like it could be it. I want so badly to keep her but I don't know if she could live with that
1f615.png
I wonder if anyone has successfully treated a chicken with gout before?

That does sound like it could be it. I want so badly to keep her but I don't know if she could live with that
1f615.png

1f615.png
Since you say she is still eating and drinking and talking to you, maybe try feeding her a low protein diet and add some vitamin A to her feed and see if you notice any difference in how she is doing say in a week or 2. If the swelling goes down and she is able to walk again then you can decide how you want to proceed she'll probably have to stay on this low protein diet the remaining of her life.

Well I started feeding her different and soaking her feet every day and the swelling is gone! I know she is still in some pain though, I also started giving her herbs that would help with the swelling and pain. She's even starting to walk a little bit at a time now. This girl has the will to live! I never expected her to fight so hard considering she's always been the scrawniest of the flock
1f600.png
I think it's because she's so spoiled haha

Well I started feeding her different and soaking her feet every day and the swelling is gone! I know she is still in some pain though, I also started giving her herbs that would help with the swelling and pain. She's even starting to walk a little bit at a time now. This girl has the will to live! I never expected her to fight so hard considering she's always been the scrawniest of the flock
1f600.png
I think it's because she's so spoiled haha
That is great news !! what have you been soaking her feet in? what herbs? anything you can share will help others.
Thank you so much for updating you have done a great job getting her back to health
thumbsup.gif

Thank you!!
1f604.png

It's been around 10 days since she stopped walking and yesterday and today she started moving a lot more, even went and walked around outside for half hour at a time!

I started off soaking her feet in Epsom salt twice a day, then I bought some oregano oil and added a few drops and just soaked her feet once a day.
Yesterday instead of soaking I mixed a few drops of oregano oil in olive oil and I rubbed it on her feet.

I gave her a few drops of Nutri Drench by mouth almost every day and also put some apple cider vinegar in her water here and there.

Every other day I mixed cinnamon and dried oregano in the food I gave her because they are both natural anti inflammatories and antibiotics. I even gave her some cooled chamomile tea to drink a few times.

I tried to get her to eat as many fruits and veggies as I could but she's a very picky eater so I'm still working on that. I give her a little wheat bread too and she loves it, she also loves clovers so I get some out of the yard and bring them to her every day.

After more researching I learned that black cherries and 100% black cherry juice are very helpful in controlling gout so I tried giving her black cherries, well she didn't really like them, soo I bought the juice and used a dropper to get her to drink it. I think it must have helped because that day she started trying to walk even more.

I'm not sure what helped and what didn't really do much but I was just trying everything I could think of! Haha
One thing I noticed is her feathers look beautiful and shiny now, and they're really soft
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom