𝓓𝓾𝓬𝓴𝔀𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓟𝓱𝓸𝓽𝓸𝓰𝓻𝓪𝓹𝓱𝔂
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 6, 2017
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Penny the Silver-Laced Wyandotte hen has officially been sent to jail!

So this is the bird, Penny:
IMG_8917.JPG

And this is her cell:
IMG_8916.JPG

Name: Penny
Breed: Silver-Laced Wyandotte
Appearence: Black and white. Average Silver-Laced Wyandotte markings and shape
Weight: Probably the average Silver-Laced Wyandotte weight
Crime: Plucking feathers of other hens' thighs and eating them most of the time. Occasionly injuring her victims' sides from this.
Evidence: Eye witnesses
Sentence: Staying in Chicken Jail until I think is long enough. Possibly for two weeks or so. Then she'll be let out on probation.

Her Victims:

Rocky the Golden Comet:
IMG_8948.JPG

What has Penny Done to Her:
IMG_8928.JPG

Maisy the Cuckoo Maran (Mix?):
IMG_8945.JPG

There is no picture, but Penny has plucked Maisy's thigh feathers and has left a wound on one of Maisy's thighs. Maisy was taken to the hospital (aka inside my house) due to the wound. Maisy was able to be released the same day and her wound wasn't life-threatening.

Possibly Princess:
IMG_8995.JPG

There is no evidence that Penny has hurt Princess, but Princess does have some mystery baldness happening on the back of her head. Penny is the suspect, but nobody is talking. There has been rumor that Penny is bullying Princess behind the Top of the Pecking Order's back.

Out of Penny being in Jail, I hope to see a difference and the victims' thigh feathers growing back. I'm hoping that once Penny is released, that she'll no longer pluck feathers. Her cell is in the coop's hallway right next to the flock's bedroom. Penny will be able to see the other hens, and they can see her, but Penny can't hurt them. If Penny messes up on her probation, or after probation goes back to the feather plucking, I'll either rehome her, or buy her a Pinless Peeper. I don't want to do either of those things, so that's why she was sent to jail. Before jail, I had gifted the Penny's flock with a very large run with leaves inside in attempt to stop her by space, and entertainment. That, not working, though it appears like it helped just a little, it wasn't stopping her. I really hope this helps and that Penny, when released, will have learned not to pluck feathers and be the best hen that she can be. :)

~Lacy Duckwing

Today was Penny's first full day in Jail. She's a pretty good layer, so when I walked into my coop, I was expecting an egg in her cell. Which, she did lay one, but, the naughty bird had ate it! There was only evidence that she layed one, and the was the egg yoke stained shavings. :hmm

The good thing/improvement I saw. It had rained all day today. Usually, my birds are all soaked, well, Penny would be a little wet, but not too bad. So, when I walked into my flock's bedroom, I expected a bunch of soaking wet birds. To my surprise, they were only a little wet. Some actually appeared to be dry (that is including Maisy; one of Penny's victims). Even Jewels (bottom of the pecking order) wasn't as wet as she usually is. She was still pretty wet, but not like she usually is. With Penny in jail and a not so wet flock tells me that ol' Penny has been forcing my flock out in the rain. Hopefully Penny will also learn to just plain be nicer to my flock. :)

Today, as Penny's second day in Jail, everything seems to be doing good. As far as any feather growth or anything on the victims, I'll expect a few days or so before I notice anything. With Penny, she did lay an egg today, AND SHE DIDN'T EAT IT! So I'm happy about that. :)

Back
Top Bottom