People buy them??????????

My friend and neighbor paid 100.00 for a young male, and she then bought me one too as a gift. I only till now had chickens and ducks. I would love a female but no idea what they go for and the lady wanted 200.00 for a female. I am worried because one is making gurgle sounds they are both in quarantine right now.

Quote:
$200 sounds steep for a female but depends if it was a sought after color/pattern and area where your at. Would have to be something special for me to spend $200 on a female and I have 17 or so girls right now.

A couple health questions, are your peafowl wormed? If not dig into the posts here in this forum and you should def. worm them. If you do, great. Respiratory illness may be a cause of the gurgle, or gape worms. If you worm with a good wormer already then it may be respiratory. Check the nasal passages at the beak for discharge or build up. Clean off if needed. Give tylan 50 (2 ml) or tylan 200 (1/2 ml) down the throat for 3 to 5 days. Check if this gets the bird feeling better. If you do not already worm them then I would start there.

Good luck

Thanks , I have no wormed them not sure if the person she got them from did. I myself would not have paid that much for one, but she did it as a gift for me which was really sweet. She had me holding onto hers until they get the green light so to speak.

That is really sweet and if they make you happy then they are worth it.
big_smile.png

i told my grandfather about people spending $200 dollars for peafowl he just laughed. 5 years ago he had a peacock show up on his 5 acres. it decided to stay and actually called in more peafowl before he knew it he had 6 on the property, they drove him nuts, he actually payed someone to come and get them...

Quote:
Steve, are your spaulding hens colored as they are in Java Greens or drab as in India Blue? I've heard that Spaulding hens lean towards the java green side.

Back
Top Bottom