People getting cheap or just lazy ??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dixiedoodle, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have a friend who had 70+ hens. He and his wife started w/ a small flock and everyone wanted "fresh, farm grown eggs'. So, they got more hens to keep up with the demand. Each time the demand grew so did his flock.. They were giving away most of their eggs to family and friends! So, last night I asked how their hens were doing and he said "got rid of all but 5 hens and a Roo!" I couldn't beleive it....He said that he was getting between 60 and 70eggs a day. Two yrs. ago, he had family and friends that were at his house everyday asking for eggs (which he gladly shared at no cost) and for the last 5 months these same people have started calling him and asking him to drop off their eggs! FREE EGGS and DELIVERY????? So, He ran the #'s and said he was spending 50+$ on feed AND 23+$ worth of gas to DELIVER eggs for free :eek:, every week! So he gave away all his hens expect the 5 and the one roo!!!! I can't believe the nerve of some people!!! Dixie

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Gee, that is so rude! and it probably never crossed their minds how rude it was either. [​IMG]

My husband gets cranky if I give any away, except for some for Christmas. If I give them away, he wants them to go to somebody who'll get hooked and then buy them from now on.

3. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    Both - cheap *and* lazy. The very first person who 'asked' me to drop off some free eggs would have been told to take their request and place it in an orifice where the sun don't shine.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I do my egg runs when I'm doing errands their direction or they can come get them! I'm not running all over to sell the eggs much less give them away.

5. EastBayChickens

EastBayChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    That is rude! I couldn't imagine asking someone to deliver free eggs to me!! A lot of nerve that would take.

I have a good friend that raised chickens and gave me eggs all the time. But she gave them to me when we were meeting up for something else anyway or when I came over. And I offered to pay, but she always said no.

Good for them giving up their chickens! I guess they'll find out who their real friends are.

6. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Well, I have to say it was his fault. He was giving them away instead of selling them. People will take and keep taking. He should have been selling them. I can not imagine that many hens and feed and Not selling there eggs.

7. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I give my eggs away, but I get lots of favors in return. One neighbor plows up my garden, one cuts up all my tree debris and one gives me a bale or two of hay for chicken nests. I feel that I'm getting the better end of the deal, because I would keep my girls either way....

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I sell some, and give some away but people always come to me to pick them up.

If I have excess that nobody wants, I'll boil them and feed them to my chickens.

9. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    That's amazing! To think that people not only want you to provide them with free eggs, but to deliver them as well.

You can bet the first one to come up with that suggestion would get a swift kick in the rear...

10. NS2A

NS2A Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2007
    Minnesota
    A small business owner once told me "never give anything away for free or you'll get paid exactly that for it."

Honestly, why he'd run 70 chickens just to give it away is baffeling to me. Good for him though to wise up.

I'd have felt embarassed to take his eggs if I was those people.:mad:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by