people with house chickens

Our house chicken is Gretl. Her "coop" is a Graco Pac n Play! She loves to cuddle and gets restless when she needs to "go", so most of the time we make it onto the tile in the kitchen or outside if it's daylite. She has some residual neuro deficits from being dog-mauled at 9 weeks old, but we love her to pieces! Still researching the best place to get chicken diapers. I also have been unable to post photos. Gretl's story is on a different thread..

Awe...so glad she is getting better. A customer of mine is a vet and she and her (vet) husband went to classes to get up to speed on treating chickens as pets...Chickens had always been treated as farm animals/flocks...not as individuals so much but now so many of us have them as pets there is a real need for them being cared for as such. I just love my girls so much...They are so much fun and interesting. As they are all Golden Laced Wyandotes/born on the same day (my birthday) they look so much alike I can't tell them apart. I put colored leg bands on them which has added to the fun...now they are truly individuals. I've named them after the Golden girls on tv...Dottie, Rose, Sofie and Blanche...lol and they each have their own personality.
Best of luck with your little girl.

Can anyone suggest a brand of chicken diapers that actually works and is custom fit to your chicken? I am having the hardest time finding a diaper that will stay on my frizzle chicken and do it's job.

Can anyone suggest a brand of chicken diapers that actually works and is custom fit to your chicken? I am having the hardest time finding a diaper that will stay on my frizzle chicken and do it's job.

I had an indoor Silkie for 3 months and I just made my own diapers from following the pattern on youtube by chickenmom. Too many people complain about the adjustable purchased diapers so I just saved the money and made 5 of my own - I modified and made some adjustments on my Silkie's diaper because velcro doesn't work well on hair-like feathers of a Silkie - I used a large heavy duty safety pin to hold the two shoulder elastic straps in place. It takes a couple tries to pin it right and at a comfortable position. I made my own diaper pouch insert out of Sandwich Baggies and lined the inside with 1/4 of a paper towel all pinned to the inside of the diaper pouch and threw it all away as a unit when done. It was nothing fancy but it worked and I washed out each diaper every night to air dry overnight and gave the Silkie's tush a baby shampoo and some air dry time while she roosted in her indoor pen. It was troublesome at first but after a week we were pros at putting on and taking off diapers. Our Silkie even layed one of her eggs in the pouch!

Have fun getting those chicken feet to stop pulling the diaper off before you can get it fastened, then have fun watching the chicken walk backwards for the first time! My DH held the two safety-pinned shoulder straps together and gently pulled the Silkie forward for a minute or two to get her little feet working until she realized she could walk forwards while wearing the diaper. Our Leghorn adapted to her custom-made diapers too. The only breed we had that refused to walk in her diaper was our Ameraucana so we gave up after trying for a week.

I had an indoor Silkie for 3 months and I just made my own diapers from following the pattern on youtube by chickenmom. Too many people complain about the adjustable purchased diapers so I just saved the money and made 5 of my own - I modified and made some adjustments on my Silkie's diaper because velcro doesn't work well on hair-like feathers of a Silkie - I used a large heavy duty safety pin to hold the two shoulder elastic straps in place. It takes a couple tries to pin it right and at a comfortable position. I made my own diaper pouch insert out of Sandwich Baggies and lined the inside with 1/4 of a paper towel all pinned to the inside of the diaper pouch and threw it all away as a unit when done. It was nothing fancy but it worked and I washed out each diaper every night to air dry overnight and gave the Silkie's tush a baby shampoo and some air dry time while she roosted in her indoor pen. It was troublesome at first but after a week we were pros at putting on and taking off diapers. Our Silkie even layed one of her eggs in the pouch!

Have fun getting those chicken feet to stop pulling the diaper off before you can get it fastened, then have fun watching the chicken walk backwards for the first time! My DH held the two safety-pinned shoulder straps together and gently pulled the Silkie forward for a minute or two to get her little feet working until she realized she could walk forwards while wearing the diaper. Our Leghorn adapted to her custom-made diapers too. The only breed we had that refused to walk in her diaper was our Ameraucana so we gave up after trying for a week.
Laid her egg in the pouch!!!
ep.gif
lau.gif

I don't have a sewing machine, but will try to find someone to make some for me. Thanks for the ideas!

I had an indoor Silkie for 3 months and I just made my own diapers from following the pattern on youtube by chickenmom.  Too many people complain about the adjustable purchased diapers so I just saved the money and made 5 of my own - I modified and made some adjustments on my Silkie's diaper because velcro doesn't work well on hair-like feathers of a Silkie - I used a large heavy duty safety pin to hold the two shoulder elastic straps in place.  It takes a couple tries to pin it right and at a comfortable position.  I made my own diaper pouch insert out of Sandwich Baggies and lined the inside with 1/4 of a paper towel all pinned to the inside of the diaper pouch and threw it all away as a unit when done.  It was nothing fancy but it worked and I washed out each diaper every night to air dry overnight and gave the Silkie's tush a baby shampoo and some air dry time while she roosted in her indoor pen.  It was troublesome at first but after a week we were pros at putting on and taking off diapers.  Our Silkie even layed one of her eggs in the pouch! 

Have fun getting those chicken feet to stop pulling the diaper off before you can get it fastened, then have fun watching the chicken walk backwards for the first time!  My DH held the two safety-pinned shoulder straps together and gently pulled the Silkie forward for a minute or two to get her little feet working until she realized she could walk forwards while wearing the diaper.  Our Leghorn adapted to her custom-made diapers too.  The only breed we had that refused to walk in her diaper was our Ameraucana so we gave up after trying for a week.

Right now I am using a diaper made by louisescountrycloset on ebay. It works rather well so far, since Pancake is still growing and it is an adjustable and has a waterproof liner sewn in to it, I just have to turn it inside out and empty it and then wash the liner out. Normally she runs free butt because we have easy clean floors. But I can't always keep an eye on her 24/7 and keep her off upholstered things.

Reading this just really helped me, the idea of using a safety pin on shoulder straps is a great idea. Also yes I have to agree that I count myself lucky the one I got premade didn't have velcro I don't think my dear Pancake would like Velcro near her extra fluffy buff orpington butt. The few times I gave Pancake a bath because of diaper oops she let me blow dry her butt on low/no heat setting. I think she enjoyed it to be honest. The only reason I didn't make one is because pure frustration of not having any idea how to make something to fit a birdy body without hands on example/willing model. Now that I have one in hand I don't think I'll have issues making my own for her if I need to.

Back
Top Bottom