people with house chickens

Well so far she seems to have silkie personality just a little mush ball, but I think she got a bit of dominance. She is very demanding about things at times, she'll mosy likely rule the the dogs in the house they where use to taking orders from Pancake. Yes which I guess it is a good thing I did pull her from her 'Mama' that lost intrest one well aimed peck on the head and there might not have been anymore Topaz.

She really is developing rather quickly at least compared to Pancake. She was a runt though.

Watch Topaz' comb (or wattles if s/he has any) since these will darken in males at around 10 weeks while they will remain lighter pink in the females until about 6 or 7 months right before POL. Of course a crow will also be a tell-tale sign! I'm glad to see Topaz was saved. Every living thing is precious. I even hate to uproot my half-living vegetable vines at the end of harvest - !!!

Watch Topaz' comb (or wattles if s/he has any) since these will darken in males at around 10 weeks while they will remain lighter pink in the females until about 6 or 7 months right before POL.  Of course a crow will also be a tell-tale sign!  I'm glad to see Topaz was saved.  Every living thing is precious.  I even hate to uproot my half-living vegetable vines at the end of harvest - !!!

To late and from research I have done on Wynndottes some females can start turn pink and reddish early. Depending on breeding. So it all up in the air until we get crow or egg I think. Also her color fluxes sometimes she is pinkish and other times reddish. Or we start getting obviously pointy feathers. All the current feathers coming in are not pointy though.

A lot of people just drop off and then a year later come back on again - or never do again. It varies. Who knows, @iluvcks may have lost her battle w/her township and too disheartened to continue on this thread. Try a PM to her and see if you get a response. I've PM'd on BYC before and occasionally got no responses but most are good about answering back if their email contact info is up to date.
Sorry for interrupting your conversation here but I was just wondering what happened to her. Thank you so much for the information I just pm'd her I hope I get a response.

Have a great day and I will let you all know if she answers me.

Patty

My little Silkie Hen finally took to her diaper and is enjoying full freedom around the house!

Last edited:
To late and from research I have done on Wynndottes some females can start turn pink and reddish early. Depending on breeding. So it all up in the air until we get crow or egg I think. Also her color fluxes sometimes she is pinkish and other times reddish. Or we start getting obviously pointy feathers. All the current feathers coming in are not pointy though.

I just happened upon a video that showed a lady distinguishing young males from females using different breeds and the pointy scattered lengths of tail feather were on males and the longer even-length smoother rounded end tail feathers were on females - no matter what young juvie breed she showed. Egg or crow is still the best indicator since I have a very limited knowledge about Wyans juveniles. I'm having so much fun with our new quarantined juvie Breda pullet. She just jumped on my shoulder - it's her spoiled way to let me know she's ready for me to carry her to her dog kennel for the night but not before she gets a couple mealworm treats!

Hello ! Finally I am meeting you guys, hugs to everyone !!!
I got 3 little chicks for a mother's day from my 12 years old daughter..... ((((;
We have a cat and 2 dogs (Shih Tzu) and they have 2 puppies..... I know what you think, but all of us are one happy family !!!! I build acoup in the closet, that has two tiny windows ( it's supposed to be a boiler room) so my daughter called "doorway to the Narnia". I clean them every day, so they don't smell...
Originally I am from Lithuania.

Finally I am meeting you guys, hugs to everyone !!!
I got 3 little chicks for a mother's day from my 12 years old daughter..... ((((;
We have a cat and 2 dogs (Shih Tzu) and they have 2 puppies..... I know what you think, but all of us are one happy family !!!! I build acoup in the closet, that has two tiny windows ( it's supposed to be a boiler room) so my daughter called "doorway to the Narnia". I clean them every day, so they don't smell...
Originally I am from Lithuania.

[COLOR=333333] Finally I am meeting you guys, hugs to everyone !!!

We have a cat and 2 dogs (Shih Tzu) and they have 2 puppies..... I know what you think, but all of us are one happy family !!!!  I build acoup in the closet, that has two  tiny windows ( it's supposed to be a boiler room) so my daughter called "doorway to the Narnia". I clean them every day, so they don't smell...[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Originally I am from Lithuania.[/COLOR]

Hi Jacklyne,
Welcome to the group. Congrats on your newest family members :) .

I love ppl who LUV their chickens!  Is she an OEG?

Watch out for fast foods.  We researched that animals like dogs, chickens, etc, get leukemia-type symptoms and small dogs have died -- from onions.  A man fed a leftover restaurant steak that was smothered in onions to his Yorkshire Terrier and it got sick and died within a week.  A woman in India was feeding a diet of high onions and garlic to her chickens and couldn't understand why her chickens were ill.  Fast foods are notorious for using onions, onion salt, onion powder, seasoned salt containing onion in their meat mixtures and salsas, so this is just a heads-up.  Most fast foods like Jack-in-the-Box, Del Taco, Taco Bell, Burger King, McDonald's, etc, will use fillers like soy, wheat, gluten, in their hispanic meats.  Jack-in-the-Box uses a meat/soy/beans mash in their cheap tacos.  Onion seasoning of some sort is used in all meat mixtures or brines in the restaurant industry.

So glad you got the best chicken-sitter in town!

She is a modern/American game cross! Extremely "fighty"

I didn't know that! I'm so happy to be able to cuddle her again! She was well loved by those who watched her for me.. The beefy stuffed nacho from Taco Bell was her favorite, but they just discontinued it so I'll know it's off limits now
1f609.png
How about KFC biscuits?

Last edited:
Sadly I think Topaz could be a boy even though personality wise Topaz seems mostly hen. We've had crowing at time mostly when they are distressed about being alone. Asher comb and wattles are rarther red too.

It really sucks that we have all these potential signs and my mom insisits Topaz might still be a girl and it is stressing me out. :(

Back
Top Bottom